Closed loop systems

Reaction score
Hi,
I have read through all the close loop system threads and reviews about what works and does not work.Tyhe main purpose of the closed loop system is to simulate different wave formations in the display tank, in doing this we use different configurations of pipe fittings as well as ball valves to create different waves in the display tank.
I was in Makro the other day and came across these Gardena plastic solenoid water valves, that once connected the a watering controller will allow to flow to different parts of the garden.
Now I was wandering if anyone has ever tried these types of valves in a closed loop system?
Surely if they are connected in a closed loop system and also connected to a timer that would activate the solenoid coil to open the valve, you would have a basic wave maker controlling water to different areas in the tank.
I would like to hear your thoughts about this topic.
Cheers

irrigation solenoid valves as those are not designed for the high-presure of the pumps we use for cl systems, if you going to use normal tap pressure then sure but you wont have much going on in your tank.
you can then go for high-pressure solenoid valves but you gonna pay a lot for those.

i have something that i am working on with a friend that is basically what you have experienced.. the problem with the normal solenoid valve is the spring, it will corrode.. we have found and are testing another type of solenoid... it is more expensive but under R300. there is quite a bit to it and its not as simple as adding a timer..

Hi Leslie,
The Gardena valves that I saw at Makro were R310 each with 24 volt solenoids.
As I see it all that would be needed is a timer to operate on/off times and a 24 volt power supply to power the solenoid coil.
All this aside, if we ignore the pressure ratings as well a the working parts that corrode, this idea of using solenoid valves to switch the flow to different ares in the tank could really work.
Thoughts.
Cheers

definatley agree it will work.. its the failsafing thats the problem.. as in finduing units with no corrosive points.

I doubt if the pump pressures will be a problem.
My taps in the garden have 8Bar. I tested it. Run 3 big popups simultanious on one line. And the valves got no problem.

Also computer is there, that controls everything. Not taking springs into account, this will work.

Back
Top Bottom