Clam research

Reaction score
Doing some research on Clam's before I buy one. I have got some interesting information on them from: They dam easy to keep provided:

1. Lighting is adequate
2. You don't have angels

To:

1. You have to have perfect water
2. They are very difficult to keep

Then there is WHICH clam to get and some items here:

1. Some are Rock boring clams which require a lot of LR
2. Some like the Sand rather than the rock
3. Some are easier to keep (will get the names got told but forgot) and some really require some serious horse power lights!
4. DON'T BUY clams under 3" or 6cm as they usually do not last!

Then there is where to position them and how to position them.

As I find interesting links I will be posting for the guys and gals out there like me that are tying to figure out the truth behind these wonderful creatures.

So far:

Mark Martin on Clams for the Saltwater Aquarium: Tips for Keeping Tropical Marine Aquarium Clams | Suite101.com

http://www.aquacon.com/clams.html

Tridacna maxima - The Giant Clam

Pros/Cons of Clams??? - The Reef Tank

Feel free to add items to the thread or even experience.

So:

Tridacna Crocea:
1. Bore into LR
2. Grow to: 15.2 to 22.9 cm (however is the smallest of the Tridacna family)
3. Love light (surprise)
4. Don't like temperature and PH changes Not to go above 27.8c (Temp) and 8.4 PH these two things destroy clams - So I am thinking in summer with MH's etc a chiller might be required for a tank?

Difficulty of Care The Crocea Clam is not only beautiful, but can be a good choice for a beginning saltwater enthusiast. Both the Crocea Clam and the Maxima Clam are fairly tolerant of strong water motion and relatively strong fluctuations in water parameters, more so than some of the other Tridacna clams.

from: Crocea Clams, Tridacna Crocea, Boring Clam, Crocus Clam With Clam Facts About Giant Clams and Pictures of Clams

tcroceaha.jpg

i have had stunning sucess to brutal failure with clams..

the funny thing is when i ran a softy tank with a jebo skimmer and just did frequent water changes i was able to keep clams perfectly, now i have the most advanced stuff and i cant keep one going..

it also comes down to species chosen, the stress its undergone in transit, its acceptance into the new system (i always kept dwarf angels with my clams).

leslie hempel said:
i have had stunning sucess to brutal failure with clams..

the funny thing is when i ran a softy tank with a jebo skimmer and just did frequent water changes i was able to keep clams perfectly, now i have the most advanced stuff and i cant keep one going..

it also comes down to species chosen, the stress its undergone in transit, its acceptance into the new system (i always kept dwarf angels with my clams).

So one thing I can't figure out yet is which is the most colorful yet easiest to keep

Back
Top Bottom