Chiller distance to tank.

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I saw a thread or two with the same issue but couldn't find anything now. And can't remember what the verdict was.
Planning my next tank but got a bit of a problem.
Want to put my chiller outside (not next to my bed again) but the distance to the tank would be 5-7m.
The plumbing will be able run virtually level.
Can this be done ?

Hi guys.

I saw a thread or two with the same issue but couldn't find anything now. And can't remember what the verdict was.
Want to put my chiller outside (not next to my bed again) but the distance to the tank would be 5-7m.
Can this be done ?

Cant see why not if plumbing is virually level. My chiller is about 5meters worth of plumbing away from my tank with no issues.

However, one could argue that if a lot of the plumbing is exposed to direct sunlight, that one would reduce the effectivness of the chiller significantly.

Cant see why not if plumbing is virually level. My chiller is about 5meters worth of plumbing away from my tank with no issues.

However, one could argue that if a lot of the plumbing is exposed to direct sunlight, that one would reduce the effectivness of the chiller significantly.

My chiller used to be about 4 m from the sump and the temp displayed by the chiller and a thermometer in the tank differed 3-4 degrees on very hot days. That is Zululand hot days! Plus the condensation on the pipes on these days was a real problem. I then covered the pipes with the round shaped foam insulation that the aircon people uses and this corrected both the heat loss and the condensation.

Just be careful not to pull the cable ties too tight when fitting it to keep the foam in shape, the foam becomes too dense and the condensation still takes place in that area. By the way I also put polystyrene around my sump and this reduces the running time of the chiller a lot.

It can be done but concider the following:

1. Distance of plumbing is twice that of the distance between tank and chiller.
  2. Diameter if pipe. Larger Diameter pipes with have a larger surface area to act as a heat exchanger with the outside air. IE run as smaller diameter pipe as possible without restricting the flow.
  3. Insulation of piping. Use that black floam insulation they use on Aircon piping, and keep out of direct sun light where possible.

the plumbing would all be covered. (counters ect.)
Would probability try and insulate the piping as well. Here's hoping a rat or something doesn't fancy the tubing and causes a mini flood. (not that i'm planning on harboring vermin....just saying)

:lol: ...thats classic.

Hi guys.

Can this be done ?
i run a 2hp halea chiller and it stands outside about 7-8 metres from my tank !
works like a dream and my plumbing is deffo not level
there are prob' 2-3 kinks in the pipe
tank doesnt budge from 25.3/25.8 degrees and chiller doesnt run all the time
best money spent

go for it :thumbup:

i run a 2hp halea chiller and it stands outside about 7-8 metres from my tank !
works like a dream and my plumbing is deffo not level
there are prob' 2-3 kinks in the pipe
tank doesnt budge from 25.3/25.8 degrees and chiller doesnt run all the time
best money spent

go for it :thumbup:

Good news :1:
I'm also running a hailea chiller (2 1/4 hp).
My water volume will more then double with almost the same number of pumps and same lighting. So temp. should hopefully be less of an issue.

Back
Top Bottom