Chemical imbalance

Reaction score
Hi all, my tank looks good but after testing the water on Friday last week, we found that the Nitrate is between 25 and 50. The magnesium is also low at 1140. I am adding the amounts recommend of Nitrate and Phosphate reducer as well as Magnesium for the last couple of days, but the tests hardly shows any changes. Any advise out there?

Hi Kapnel.

What water did you use to fill up your tank?
How many water changes have you carried out?
Do you have a skimmer?
Do you you have carbon & or Matrix in your sump (assuming you have a sump!)?
Have you used Microbelift Special Blend / Seachem Stability - helps to stabilise your tank in the first few weeks and months by adding the correct bacteria with either of these supplements.
What test kits are you using? Are they still valid (not expired) or is your LFS carrying out the tests for you?

You should be monitoring your tank daily (IMHO) by carrying out tests on Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, Phosphate, pH, Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium and then take action accordingly. The changes will not happen overnight but will happen over a week or two depending on the bio-load in the tank.

A new tank should not be stocked with fish or corals until the tank has cycled fully. Clean up crew will survive if the parameters are within the acceptable levels.

Sorry for all the questions but there is no info on your profile regarding your tank...

Chemical imbalance... The people who put me in a padded room said I have that in my brain..... But they wouldnt tell me what chemicals were in balance and which were im balanced, but I an a Libra so i'm balanced I think.
What nitrate and what phosphate refucing products are you using?
What makes you say your mg is low?

Chemical imbalance... The people who put me in a padded room said I have that in my brain..... But they wouldnt tell me what chemicals were in balance and which were im balanced, but I an a Libra so i'm balanced I think.

:lol:

I'm assuming you have stocked it already? I agree with @irie ivan, are you using anything to lower your NO3? What type of system do you have? Mg is only one of the 3 parameters you should monitor togther, the others being Ca and Alk. What are their numbers. You can add products like microblift, stabilty or any other bacteria but these wont bring down your NO3 down fast enough, you will need to run a different type of nutrient export or have a area in your tank where by anaroebic bacteria consume your NO3. There are various methods of doing this but we will need a little more info about your system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom