Catching a fire fish.

Mc

Reaction score
Hi All.

I need some advice on how to catch a firefish.
I have a purple firefish that needs to be taken out of my tank for medicating and I just can't catch him.

There isn't much time, the fish is looking really bad.

From white spots? why not use herbatana should work if eating.

Going to stress fish out when trying to catch. Best would be to get fish trap or be prepared to rearrange, Probably the worse. Good luck

Last edited:
Start hauling rocks and preferably use a divider. Dartfish are a monumental pain to catch.

...and are infinitely more difficult to catch in the wild.

...and are infinitely more difficult to catch in the wild.

Yeeeeeah I don't even understand how they catch these guys without chemicals. Must use a very fine fence net and then haul out every lump of the rock in the area. A 5cm rock is enough for about 10 dartfish and they'll use it.

Sand tilefish are possibly even worse because they burrow about 30cm deep in 0.5 seconds if you even think about looking in their general direction.

Just have a glance at the overseas forums and see what they're saying about Herbtana. To say it has mixed reviews is a bit of an understatement...for every guy that says it works there are three that say it did nothing or killed corals. There is zero scientific evidence that it does anything at all and I think the only reason it's still around is that it's very hard to disprove a negative. Cases where it "worked" are very likely just a case of the fish recovering from the disease naturally, as most do over time.

Last edited:
I have no scientific proof if it works or not but it has helped me in the pass. All i know is it strengthens immune system so that fish can overcome disease by fighting it off but not remove it from tank.

I have no scientific proof if it works or not but it has helped me in the pass. All i know is it strengthens immune system so that fish can overcome disease by fighting it off but not remove it from tank.

It allegedly improves their immune systems. But so does improved water conditions, improved feeding, and a host of other variables. I recently transferred a bunch of fish to another tank which caused stress and a whitespot outbreak in my surgeon (as expected). Now that it's settled into the new system the stress has diminished and the whitespot has gone (not completely gone from the system of course, but it's in check).

It does not work at all. It stuffs up your shimmer and it is a pain to get it working again.

I have used herbatana in the past and still not sure about it.
One thing I know is when your fish are in this state dying, its pretty useless.

Still trying to catch him and the other clown.

It allegedly improves their immune systems. But so does improved water conditions, improved feeding, and a host of other variables. I recently transferred a bunch of fish to another tank which caused stress and a whitespot outbreak in my surgeon (as expected). Now that it's settled into the new system the stress has diminished and the whitespot has gone (not completely gone from the system of course, but it's in check).

I do believe a healthy fish is a happy fish. If they are eating healthy they will recover no need to medicate with optimal water conditions like you say.

It was one bad fish that brought the disease in.

Back
Top Bottom