carpet split...

Reaction score
Noticed on saturday my carpet anemone decided to clone himeself. the problem is that he is attached to a rock which my other anemone has its base bolted on. i wanted to move the small rock then saw the other has burrowed under the rock and attached himself to it. they are back to back.

42344e9c0b1e08950.jpg

42344e9c0b1e2563a.jpg

what would be the best way to remove one that has split?

thats not a carpet, stoichiatus sp. , looks like a sand anemone
are you feeding it?

its easy to remove it, just pick it up and move it

alright maybe i heard wrong then but was told its photosynthetic and didnt need feeding?

splitting can be viewed as good or bad
from MY experience and knowledge it splits when to much food and also when things are bad, a survival mechanism

but since are clones of each other, you can keep both with no issues

read that it could be good or bad yes, he has been on the same rock since july. my first reaction was to move him as he is in a medium flow area but i'll let him decide.

I would leave them both alone. Feed them after they have completely healed from split. As far as why it split. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens often, or if you can find something obviosly wrong with your system.

If I understand correctly, you have a new Tank and that could be why it split..it's either good or bad..in this case, I'll say bad as in "stressed"..I also saw..2nd Link.. that it had a collision with you'r Wave Maker..unless it's not the same one..? Then I apologise..
Hectic burgers... - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Sabae anemone... - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

If you'r Tank isn't new and has indeed been running before you joined MASA, then I apologise in my assumption..:blush:, but I'll still IMHO say that it might still be recovering from the Wave Maker incident(if it's the same one)..did you Nennie Proof the Tank, as now you have 2...:p

PS: IF it's 2 different Species, then the chances are that you have a "chemical war" going on and in all likelyhood will have to remove one of them and/or run Carbon...I'm still a Noob, so I could be wrong..anybody feel free to correct me...

Last edited:
Tank has been running since Feb last year,never registered on masa as i had a book which belonged to my wife about reef keeping. the anemone you referring too was the sabae anemone,he never made it. that was at our previous residence,we have since moved and setup again. it has has been a month since and the only things i have changed or added was more substrate. got some spots of cyano,diatoms to go with that. i do have carbon,rowaphos and purigen running. i do know that something has gone wrong because my alveopora has gone from 4 heads to 1 in 3days this morning. yes i am a noob in many ways and probably will be for years to come.

and the sand anemone has since been healing well,almost a full circle again.

Tank has been running since Feb last year,never registered on masa as i had a book which belonged to my wife about reef keeping. the anemone you referring too was the sabae anemone,he never made it. that was at our previous residence,we have since moved and setup again. it has has been a month since and the only things i have changed or added was more substrate. got some spots of cyano,diatoms to go with that. i do have carbon,rowaphos and purigen running. i do know that something has gone wrong because my alveopora has gone from 4 heads to 1 in 3days this morning. yes i am a noob in many ways and probably will be for years to come.

I wouldn't look at the alveopora dying as something is wrong with your system...those corals are so finicky u may have just looked at it funny to cause it to die. My experiences with them is if you loose 1 head the rest will all follow shortly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back
Top Bottom