Career Advice Needed

AndreT

Retired Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
Dear Abby,

I woke up one night and realised I don't enjoy what I do at all.

Despite my tertiary education, 8 years of experience I now find myself whole heartedly NOT wanting to do what I do. I'm a programmer/Software Architect.

What do I do now. I can't change jobs and still keep my standard of living. I'm trying to get another company up and running which does more of what I love doing, but it's tough.

I hate my job so much that I I spent 90% of my day on MASA...:lol:

Please help,

Sincerely

Unhappy in Roodepoort

Dear Unhappy in Roodepoort ( I would be unhappy to if I could not get NSW where i lived)

The big question is are you unhappy for whom/ how you are doing it. in otherwords could the situation make a difference?

I have been in this situation before and have changed jobs (still with the same company) a few years back and now love what I do.

Any new business is tough, but I think its important to do if you are capable (which you certainly seem) while still earning a salary.

Sorry I could not be of much help but all the best in the coming months with this on your mind and I trust you will make the right choices.

Last edited:
Irony, thats what i can call this. When i logged on this morning, i saw your post count, and thought to myself, "he can't be happy at work, all he does is F*** around on masa all day.."

Hehe, I'm kinda wondering wtf to do for work as well. And I know I don't wanna become a codemonkey so I keep on avoiding those positions etc. The std of life vs starting at the bottom thing is a b*tch :/

stick with your job.i studied IT for 2 years with one year left,and then left as i got married.got into my parents business and for over 3 .5years on a full time basis and realised that i hate it.nowi decided to start IT again through intec and found i cannot study,already paid R30 000 for this stupid course and i find i have no time for my family.work in the morning from 7 and study from 1.i hate my life.i went and messed my life up even more with the studies when i shouldve rather just stuck in the business.

by the way dont even know what i typed above as im so pissed of with life

@ Kanga,
Thanks. I have changed jobs last month. The company I work for is absoluty awesome. I mean, we play table tennis, pool, darts and braai a lot. There is no dress code and some guys come in plakkies. Awesome. But I still hate what I do. My company is not doing badly, but not enough to support me. And getting it to grow is a bitch.

@Dober,
Yes, it is ironic although my choice of words would have been different...:lol:

@Rory,
Yeah, I feel I have done more than my share of coding and all that shit. I actually would now choose to do some dirty hard labour as opposed to an office job. But on the other hand, how long will I do that before I'm sick of that too.

* sigh *

Shit Mekaeel, you just made me feel a whole lot better.

Shit Mekaeel, you just made me feel a whole lot better.
trust me stick to what you doing.IT is excellent.my life is messed up with a hotel to look after and now this damn studies which im planning to quit as i have no time for my family.eg yesterday,worked in the morning,studied a bit in the afternoon and from 22:00 ive been knocking at peoples doors collecting money from surfers,some refused to pay,had to deal with cops and our deabth collectors which obviously handled the matter.dont even bother looking for another job,trust me and try and appreciate what you have(talking from experience)

galibore , always look at it this way , IT COULD BE WORSE !!!!

quit your job and sell your crack

Mekaeel, maybe this thread should be about you buddy, you got it a lot worse than me.

Afsal, got you.

Viper, is inviting as that invitation sounds, I kak with our winter, never mind Alaska.

Phat, no comment.

Clinton, Believe me, that's all I could think about for the past three hours since I saw the email. But I have one concern. The Pick 'n Pay next door closed down. Which means the number of feet past the shop will take a big knock.

Lol palmerc ;) The thought crossed my mind but apparently it's in the middle of nowhere :/

G4Y is for sale ?

Sims it's for sale if you haven't heard.

Rory, not really, it's in a residential area. But the main attraction of the centre, namely the Pick 'n Pay, has closed down. The shop is right next to the ex-Pick 'n Pay.

Wow ok. Is Ryan concentrating on Web Design etc or leaving SA ?

Back
Top Bottom