Can orca cubes be restored?

Reaction score
The pump on my reactor failed and left the cubes without any flow for 2 weeks while I was on holiday. When I took the pump out I got the sulfur smell and after taking the reactor out the whole house was under siege from my massive stink bomb.

I am so glad the pump refused to start up after numerous attempts. It could have had disastrous consequences I reckon.

Now the question is, is the cubes useless and should I rather just replace them or can I do something to them that will enable me to save R550 and reuse them after a good clean or soak in something.
@dallasg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you still have them in an anaerobic state i will take them from you. Are they still in the reactor or have you cleaned them?

Sorry NJ, I have tried to clean them already. They were a darkish grey colour with the odd black. Were you thinking of using them in a sulfur denitrator?

Sort of. Some nitrate reductors are fed a carbon source. Being following these cubes with interest and thinking of trying some in a reactor. The Aquamedic Bio-balls (denim balls) were good in their day but tended to clog the reactor if to many were installed. Bio-pellets do a similar thing. Interested on what the cubes looked like, and was there a lot of mulm or did the cubes just turn black?

Last edited:
I gave the cubes a good rub wash in tap water (Thanks @KillerWhale)and they are now back in the reactor. Running for almost 2 days and no issues so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bud :thumbup:. Was hoping that was not the case. Will test some in a reactor though.
The best way to give what you are looking for is to get a reactor that has an internal pump blowing massive amounts of current directly into the chamber, but, takes the water from inside the chamber. So, basically the pump is just massively re-circulating the water that is inside. On this, a very small amount of "fresh" water is to be taken up into the reactor. This way you won't get that smothering mulm build up, but, you will be able to get very small amounts water going through it which will give you what you are looking for. See picture to see what I am saying

Reef Octopus (Singapore)

Now those there are calcium reactors, but, you will need something like that with a fitting on the main pump with a very thin aquarium line to suck in "fresh" water from the system and a very fine aquarium line again with a tap to control the flow rate. A project like this might need a little "boer maak n plan" stories, but, it can work.

Nemo's Janitor...I think we can still bring your idea to life...I really can't see why not. Biologically it is possible as well

Thanks bud :thumbup:. Was hoping that was not the case. Will test some in a reactor though.
What would also help here is the statr up time. Normally with sulphur you had to wait more than a month and sometime 2 months for something to start happening. Cubes have a very quick start-up time. Basically all you do is let them mature in the tank and after 11 days, pop them into the reactor and they will run. Zero oxygen denitrator system that is fully operational in 10 to 14 days...now that is quick! By-product would still be biomass, which is still a lot nicer than sulphuric acid as created by sulphur denitrators

The more I think about this, the more I think you have a good idea!

I gave the cubes a good rub wash in tap water (Thanks @KillerWhale)and they are now back in the reactor. Running for almost 2 days and no issues so far.
Anytime my friend, keep us posted on your progress. Do you know you are the only person so far adressing the re-start up process for BIO-Cubes...so...the world waits and watches you closely for your feedback!

What would also help here is the statr up time. Normally with sulphur you had to wait more than a month and sometime 2 months for something to start happening. Cubes have a very quick start-up time. Basically all you do is let them mature in the tank and after 11 days, pop them into the reactor and they will run. Zero oxygen denitrator system that is fully operational in 10 to 14 days...now that is quick! By-product would still be biomass, which is still a lot nicer than sulphuric acid as created by sulphur denitrators

The more I think about this, the more I think you have a good idea!

PM sent.

You have the gist of what I want to achieve. :thumbup:

The biggest advantage of a denitrator is that one can control the NO3 output. But the dosing regime is sometimes a PITA and costly, equipment wise.

i missed this, glad killerwhale helped you out, had a similar issue and they back in action

Back
Top Bottom