Can my coral be saved?

Bring the hermit to me if you like:):)

yes 10 hours is way too long,what you gotta go is float the bag till the water in the bag reaches the temp of the tank,gradually add water to the bag every 15 minutes over an hour max.then place the coral on the substrate.this is the way i do it

I put the bag with the coral in it in the sump, every half an hour I took about 50ml of water from the bag and replaced it with 50ml from the sump, I did this for 10hours, then I took the coral out of the bag and put it in the main tank(after the lights went out). Was this wrong, should I have acclimatize in a different manner.

well 10 hrs! i do mine for 30min to an hour depending on corals. i just got a gigas clam and put him staight in my tank! i never aclimatize clams or brains, but will aclimatize with acros/ sps and most lps as the are more sensitive

yes 10 hours is way too long,what you gotta go is float the bag till the water in the bag reaches the temp of the tank,gradually add water to the bag every 15 minutes over an hour max.then place the coral on the substrate.this is the way i do it

little tip, only take advise from people who post pics as proof(to see if their tanks are good) and meks tank is friggen awsum:thumbup:

Ok, easy guys... indeed, the coral does not look good. But I have seen a skilled aquarist salvage even less coral tissue than that. The guy who first introduced me to coral keeping (my old LFS boss), once managed to grow a coral out of a dime-sized drop of tissue.

Moz- this is certainly a long shot, but theoretically, any coral that still has any live soft tissue at all is "salveable." If it stops dying and starts to recover, it will likely take YEARS for it to get anywhere near what it once was, but it is possible...

Ok, easy guys... indeed, the coral does not look good. But I have seen even less coral tissue than that saved. The guy who first introduced me to coral keeping (my old LFS boss), once managed to grow a brain coral out of a dime-sized drop of tissue.

Moz- this is certainly a long shot, but theoretically, any coral that still has any soft tissue at all is "savable." If it stops dying and starts to recover, it will likely take YEARS for it to get anywhere near what it once was, but it is possible...

just to add to that, its important that you keep parameters in check and calcium+kh up

To be honest I don't think it is any fault of the hermit crab. Pretty sure he was just doing what he does best and that is to eat dead or dying organisms, it's natural for them.

If the coral was a healthy specimen to begin with then the hermit would not have touched it.

Ok, easy guys... indeed, the coral does not look good. But I have seen a skilled aquarist salvage even less coral tissue than that. The guy who first introduced me to coral keeping (my old LFS boss), once managed to grow a coral out of a dime-sized drop of tissue.

Moz- this is certainly a long shot, but theoretically, any coral that still has any live soft tissue at all is "salveable." If it stops dying and starts to recover, it will likely take YEARS for it to get anywhere near what it once was, but it is possible...

Can you elaborate on how this was done?

I have saves a hammer, it was about 10cm long had to cut it down to about 1.5cm, and dipped it in Lugols on and off for a week. It is now doing very well.

Or should we ask this in your forum.

To be honest I don't think it is any fault of the hermit crab. Pretty sure he was just doing what he does best and that is to eat dead or dying organisms, it's natural for them.

If the coral was a healthy specimen to begin with then the hermit would not have touched it.

I agree... the little ones (the "scarlet" and "blue-legged" ones) are far more opportunistic than predatory.

Can you elaborate on how this was done?
He pulled off the remaining little bit of live tissue left and glued it to a little bit of rock with a convenient divot in which it was apparently easy to fit the drop of tissue. This was the only time I'd actually seen such a thing in person (was in one of the tanks I had to clean :p)... but I've heard/read several similar stories of this being done with success.

I have saves a hammer, it was about 10cm long had to cut it down to about 1.5cm, and dipped it in Lugols on and off for a week. It is now doing very well.
Cool... whatever works. ;)

oh and one more thing.from my experience,ive kept some LPS and softies at 30 degrees,havent tried SPS though.if your tank temp fluctuates,it will kill corals.use a heater and keep the temp stable at 30

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I do wish we could all avoid such extreme statements/language. It's OK/healthy for temp to fluctuate a bit around 80-86F (or 27-30C). And can we say "could suffer" instead of "will kill?" I mean, don't get me wrong, this is all good advice... but these things aren't so hard-lined. Just like how you yourself pointed out with the "1 year" rule for Acropora... it's not so black and white. ;)

On a related note, you'd be horrified if you knew some of the extreme temp, salinity, and pH swings my corals have suffered and survived. Yes, sometimes they suffered dearly, but sometimes they didn't appear to be affected at all. Seriously, these animals are actually a lot more mysterious (and less predictable) than you'd think...

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I do wish we could all avoid such extreme statements/language. It's OK/healthy for temp to fluctuate a bit around 80-86F (or 27-30C). And can we say "could suffer" instead of "will kill?" I mean, don't get me wrong, this is all good advice... but these things aren't so hard-lined. Just like how you yourself pointed out with the "1 year" rule for Acropora... it's not so black and white. ;)

On a related note, you'd be horrified if you knew some of the extreme temp, salinity, and pH swings my corals have suffered and survived. Yes, sometimes they suffered dearly, but sometimes they didn't appear to be affected at all. Seriously, these animals are actually a lot more mysterious (and less predictable) than you'd think...
agree with you 100%.this was when i first started out keeping corals,with minimal knowledge,but hey it worked :) .just talking out of my experience ;)

I would leave the coral where it is and don't do anything to it other than provide good overall water quality. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

TrachyReproArt

Very interesting article Steven, lets hope there is a surprise for the man.

Sanders

i never aclimatize clams or brains,
Dude,...Please, acclimatise and quaranteen any livestock you purchase!!!

I would leave the coral where it is and don't do anything to it other than provide good overall water quality. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

I agree... not that there's any one "right" way, but this is what I would do at this point.

I can second this. I have a pagoda (green cup coral) that I "killed" in my inexperience. Now a year later the coral is busy recovering and I'm very suprised. I mean this is/was a "dead" sekeleton. I just left the skeleton in the tank, cause I figured it will become part of my live rock. I'll try and take some pictures tonight.

Sorry for the "kill" word. I know things are not set in stone, but from 30 degrees upwards, I've only had bad experiences and we here in Kimberley can get up to 45 degrees in summer.

Back to the topic, I've also had an openbrain recover from serious neglect, so yes it could/should recover with the right water (PS I still don't know what the right water is *ducks*)

On the hermit, keep it in the sump if you don't want to put it back in the main tank. Else I'm sure someone will take it of your hands.

Back
Top Bottom