Can a fish get to fat

Reaction score
Can a fish get to fat? Hard to get a good pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1460824169743.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1460824176519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only can they get too fat they can even suffer from colic and if you really experienced I've seen guys even assist fish in burping :lol: that have overeaten

Does my sailfin look like he over weight?

As far as I know, fat fish is a dead fish. So no fish don't get fat (not like how humans get fat), just well fed. It can be due to it being a female (or some males) develop the slight bulge but that doesn't mean it is fat. Fish usually only consume what it needs, and I know some fish eat like pigs but then they poop even more. Their body has a delicate balance that needs to stay in check for it to swim properly and live properly. So nothing to worry about, as long as he is swimming and eating then all is fine.:thumbup:

Sorry to Hijack but what do you use to fatten fish up?

Had a Sailfin before that was very skinny and no matter hoe much he ate it never made him any thicker and hide those bones.

any ideas?

Apologize for the hijack again.

Hey Scuba, its no hijack.

I feed my fish twice a day. The only other fish I had is a pair of clowns so the sailfin did not have competition.

I feed marine flakes or pellets in the mornings and brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp in the afternoons. I've recently introduced lobster eggs to their diet.

I put in a piece of ocean nutrition nori on a clip every 2nd or 3rd day.

You can cause issues if you feed a lot of very fatty foods like squid, the fish can get a fatty liver, which is not good for their health. But otherwise the fat should translate into growth in time.

I also drop a frozen clam into the tank once or twice a week. I am trying to get all of them to just eat the clam but that has been a challenge cos my clown just stay in one part of the tank all the time. They hardly ever venture out of that corner.

is
I also drop a frozen clam into the tank once or twice a week. I am trying to get all of them to just eat the clam but that has been a challenge cos my clown just stay in one part of the tank all the time. They hardly ever venture out of that corner.

is there anything that the clowns are scared of in the tank ? they usually do that when theres a threat

is

is there anything that the clowns are scared of in the tank ? they usually do that when theres a threat
The only fish that was with them was the sailfin but he was tiny and is very docile.

I had them alone in a smaller tank, they did the same thing. Maybe they scares of water

You can cause issues if you feed a lot of very fatty foods like squid, the fish can get a fatty liver, which is not good for their health. But otherwise the fat should translate into growth in time.
My sharks live on squid... Would this cause an issue? Also i allow a few tentacles to float around for fish to nibble after shark feeding... Should i stop this from happening?

My sharks live on squid... Would this cause an issue? Also i allow a few tentacles to float around for fish to nibble after shark feeding... Should i stop this from happening?

I am not sure about sharks, maybe elasmobranchs are different, from what I recall they actually use the fat in their liver for buoyancy, so maybe different rules for them?

It is ok if normal fish get it as part of their diet, it is also in my food, just not the majority of their diet.

I am not sure about sharks, maybe elasmobranchs are different, from what I recall they actually use the fat in their liver for buoyancy, so maybe different rules for them?

It is ok if normal fish get it as part of their diet, it is also in my food, just not the majority of their diet.

Okay great thx.

What are signs of fatty liver problems?

Okay great thx.

What are signs of fatty liver problems?

I am actually not sure, just remember reading about it a while back. It also goes for other fatty foods like mussels. Apparently the best protein/fat ratio for carnivore/omnivore fish is in table shrimp and scallops I think.

Back
Top Bottom