Buying online from overseas

Reaction score
Hey All,

Although we try to support all the local LFS and especially the site's sponsors .... once in a while a really good deal or smart piece of equipment is available online and you are tempted.

Who has experience from buying online from overseas ?
Is it very risky ?
Where do you buy from ?

I have bought a few small value none mechanical/electrical items from overseas and everything went fine. I would be hesitant to buy anything big or electrical due to warranty issues.

The service I have received from local pet shops and distributors has more than justified the little bit extra you pay. Twice I have had to return equipment for minor defects and the service has been fantastic, you just won't get that service ordering online and may even need to ship back at your own cost if you need a swap out.

This is a list I made last year...most were from Shops and actual parts ordered by some MASA Members..a lot has popped up since then but some info could still be useful..:blush: Although I have to admitt that the majority is more for the DIY inclined..:blush:

Websites for parts needed for DIY Projects
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=32679

I bought from Avast Marine, and pacific sun. Both their service was exceptional and worry free. I have heard some not so good stories from ebay and amazon.

No issues with any of the stuff I purchased and you will find that is generally cheaper than locally.

things with guarantees I would rather buy with local support. I even had a 4 month old Jaegger heater pack up on me. Just a matter of returning it to the LFS and picking up another. 8 month old DC return pump stopped working. Just gave it back, got another.

Last edited:
things with guarantees I would rather buy with local support. I even had a 4 month old Jaegger heater pack up on me. Just a matter of returning it to the LFS and picking up another. 8 month old DC return pump stopped working. Just gave it back, got another.

Agreed ! Piece of mind is worth the extra cost ... as long as the LFS gives decent service

I Bought my LED unit from China, havent had any problems with it, and it cost half the price to what a local retailer would sell it for .

The supplier even check up with me a month later to see if i was happy with there product.

mixed experiences...statistically more good than bad

Back
Top Bottom