Bullet proof Reef tank

What are they saying? During the initial cycle of the tank, until coralline starts growing, they don't use a skimmer, thereafter the skimmer is running 24/7. Seems normal'ish to me.

I don't think it will make much of a difference really, skimmers pull out very little during the initial startup of a tank. What they don't say is how long after the tank has started do they switch the skimmer on. Coralline growth could be one or two spots on the back glass or do they wait until all of their rocks are pink?

This is why I feel the skimmer hurt my efforts in the very beginning stages of set up. I do not want to skim out the beneficial organisms in the live sand as well as the invisible spores of coralline, sponges and many more surprises that show up over the years.

There are so many different schools of thought on this. Personally I think a skimmer will remove certain favourable noo-noo's from our system, but it will also miss a lot, not every ounce of water gets skimmed, especially with an internal skimmer.

That page is all based on their Garf Grunge, which I don't think is available in SA. To be honest, the photo's they have on that page do not really turn me on :p Have a look at the beauty of some of the RC and zeovit tanks where they encourage very strong skimming.

What are you thinking of now? You want to run skimmerless? It can definitely be done.

No Dean. I was actually following links to other forms of making "live rock" when I came upon this. Was just interesting to see how he/she did it, and the newest pics of this tank is actually really stunning. Difficult to keep softies is flourishing in this setup. They doing something right:p

softcolor4003167.jpg

b3rdsofts410308.jpg

disk410308.jpg

3rdsps410319.jpg

[SIZE=-1]
3rdc510383.jpg
[/SIZE]

No Dean. I was actually following links to other forms of making "live rock" when I came upon this. Was just interesting to see how he/she did it, and the newest pics of this tank is actually really stunning. Difficult to keep softies is flourishing in this setup. They doing something right:p
No doubt, the people at Garf have a lot of knowledge and know what they are doing, like I said, many different ways to do things, sometimes it's difficult to decide which path to choose.

p.s. your last post is blank :p

those pics are some of the most beatiful coloured softies I have ever seen.

The zeo methods etc are they not more suited for the sps types, heavy skimming, pure clean water and they grow more on the calcium.

Softies grow more on nutrients, I reckon softies you can get buy with hardly any skimming, they grow on the fertiliser the fish produce, it is more the oil and toxins that you want skimmed. I'm trying to upgrade my skimmer, then think is it worth it cause the softies are doing so well, will I not skim out their food. I think scrubbers cause defincies for softies also.

So what are you saying? That during the initial phase of the tank is the last time that you'll be able to watch telly without the sound of a fighter jet taking off in your lounge?
what do u care, ;)besides not all of us keep tanks or tv's in our kitchen:p

while I am at it, thank you deltec and eiheim for such a quiet skimmer.:)

after 3 years i should think of getting a tv now :)

Back
Top Bottom