Brown jelly

Reaction score
What a weekend, woke Saturday to my power hammer with a spot of brown jelly on it. I lost a baby torch my GF bought me as a present about month ago. So I siphoned off as much as I could. Woke up today and bam more brown jelly. I took the coral out after having to dislodge it from its prately putty. Gave it a strong dip for 3 minutes and put it back.

Lets see how it goes this was one of my fav corals :mad: I also had to QT my clown which has been with me since day one he somehow got fin rot. Busy treating him in a QT right now. :mad::mad::mad:

Parameters are perfect other coral and fish are healthy sigh hope its just something temporary!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Damn that brown jelly sucks. Had it happen to me also, I lost my torch to it, one head at a time. I even tried sucking up as much of it as I could but it still came back and the dipping didnt work for me either.

Best advice I can give is to frag whats left of it, if possible. Someone here(cant remember who) had the same problem and fraged the coral and it recovered fully. I hope you can fight it and save your coral.

Brown Jelly Disease
This is a coral disease that is almost exclusively found in aquariums. As its name suggests, this disease appears as a brown, jelly-like substance on the suffer of the coral. It's also described as a light-brown colored slim or ooze "floating" above or around the coral. The jelly is thought to be a mix of dying coral tissue, bacteria, protozoans and possibly other things. The specific culprit is unknown. With so many different microbes present in the slime, it's hard to say which is "causing" the infection and which are just opportunists feeding on the already dying tissue. In any case, it is almost always caused by a physical injury to the coral. It moves quickly and can kill a coral with in a few days or weeks. Simply put, brown jelly disease for a coral is analogous to a badly infected wound in any other animal.
DSC04153-custom-crop-0.13-0.13-0.88-0.88-size-584-439.jpg

brown jelly infection on a brain coral (photo by Aaron)

If the disease has just started and the infection is small, the best treatment is high water flow and at least daily cleaning of the infected area (usually done with a turkey baster). If the disease is severe, the infected part of the coral may need to be cut ("fragged") off of the colony. The choice to quarantine is up to you, but brown jelly is not usually contagious (unless you have other injured corals in the tank). If your other corals are healthy, they will likely resist infection even in the presence of an infected coral.
coraldisease2 - ASIRA
Hope this helps....please read up a bit more on it, as some mention that it could wipe out you'r Tank, whereas this Article states that it's not usually Contagious....unless you have other injured Corals...

Bit more reading...
Brown Jelly & CAM Antibiotic - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/c_bingman_040697.html

Last edited:
coraldisease2 - ASIRA
Hope this helps....please read up a bit more on it, as some mention that it could wipe out you'r Tank, whereas this Article states that it's not usually Contagious....unless you have other injured Corals...

Bit more reading...
Brown Jelly & CAM Antibiotic - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/c_bingman_040697.html

Yeah that's it dipped woke up this morning a little brown jelly on it, brushed it off. Will monitor it if it gets bad I will redip the coral tomorrow.

Sad to see on if not the biggest corals in my tank being taken out by this stuff.

Nemo on the other had is in the QT being treated for find rot. I have no idea where all this crap has cone from the tank has been super healthy and I haven't added any live stock for a while. ...

I have never heard of brown jelly getting cured. Rather cut the infected pieces off and dip the healthy parts. This stuff will spread to other lps so get rid of it asap

increased the flow above the coral (approc 1-2 inch) this will help with pulling any of the mucus away and help the coral recover..

what have you done that in the last few days that could have triggered this? temp increase? change in dosages of additives or perhaps added a new supplement?

it is also important to state what the parameters are not just say they are perfect.. often people overlook this and it is the crux of the matter.. it also helps us to see what you have tested for and accertain if you have chosen the correct testing path..

i have lost almost all my froggies that had this disease with only one being saved and it was through daily iodine dipping that finally let a small portion of the coral live and it subsequently regenerated.. but i still do not know why my corals got it...

good luck..

increased the flow above the coral (approc 1-2 inch) this will help with pulling any of the mucus away and help the coral recover..

what have you done that in the last few days that could have triggered this? temp increase? change in dosages of additives or perhaps added a new supplement?

it is also important to state what the parameters are not just say they are perfect.. often people overlook this and it is the crux of the matter.. it also helps us to see what you have tested for and accertain if you have chosen the correct testing path..

i have lost almost all my froggies that had this disease with only one being saved and it was through daily iodine dipping that finally let a small portion of the coral live and it subsequently regenerated.. but i still do not know why my corals got it...

good luck..

You right, my bad for not specifying the parms.

Sanity: 1025
temp : 25 -26.5
nitrate: 15ppm
Nitrate:0
ammonia: 0
Alkaline: 145ppm or 8dkh
Phosphate: 0.14 total P04 which relates to 0.03 ppm

if you wondering why I quote total P04,my hanna checker does ppm total P04.

When look at what changed hmmm dropped the Phosphate level quite drasticly from (total P04) 0.25 to 0.1 over night. Brown jelly from that? Only other change is I sorted out the water which was my fault and the TDS went from 0084 to now 0004.

but that should of helped not made it worse?

Damn that brown jelly sucks. Had it happen to me also, I lost my torch to it, one head at a time. I even tried sucking up as much of it as I could but it still came back and the dipping didnt work for me either.

Best advice I can give is to frag whats left of it, if possible. Someone here(cant remember who) had the same problem and fraged the coral and it recovered fully. I hope you can fight it and save your coral.

Just an update for those of you following this thread. So the iodine dip along with four times a day turkey basting the affectddbarea SEEMED to have worked. Holding thumbs.

The sad part noticed a part of one of the heads on my torch was closed. On closer inspection there was a corner starting with brown jelly. I sucked it up quick took all my lps out the tank and dipped them. Will keep monitoring.

This is just sad :(

Just an update for those of you following this thread. So the iodine dip along with four times a day turkey basting the affectddbarea SEEMED to have worked. Holding thumbs.

The sad part noticed a part of one of the heads on my torch was closed. On closer inspection there was a corner starting with brown jelly. I sucked it up quick took all my lps out the tank and dipped them. Will keep monitoring.

This is just sad :(

Holding thumbs for you bud. Just try to suck up as much of the brown jelly as u can.

Thank you for the support I am monitoring it every hour the coral are out now after the dip so hoping it helped

Back
Top Bottom