Brown jelly disease on soft coral?

Reaction score
Hi Freinds

Discovered what looks like to be brown jelly desease on my colt coral, it has totally destroyed most of it, only the "stem" looking ok, but all polyps gone.

I'm leaving in a couple hours for JHB and not sure what to do, I've cut off any "rotten" pieces and washed the rest off with RO in a dip.

Q1, Is it possiable to get brown jelly desease on soft corals?

Q2, should I remove the "stems" that are left or toss the hole lot?

Its possiable that it was stung by my frog spawn. Also moved it into a slighty higher water flow area.

Please help as I have little time to do anything and don't want my tank to go down while I'm away!

Thanx in advance

I don't know much about brown jelly, but from what i've read, it's nasty get rid of all of it - quickly.

As another line of attack, have you changed anything in the tank recently?

I don't know much about brown jelly, but from what i've read, it's nasty get rid of all of it - quickly.

As another line of attack, have you changed anything in the tank recently?

Nothing at all Mike, can only put it down to maybe getting stung by the frog spawn?

Nothing at all Mike, can only put it down to maybe getting stung by the frog spawn?

Damn, that could do it though frog spawn and their like pack a mean punch, if you were going to be able to keep an eye i'd say frag the good bits and see how they do but you are going away, you could come back to carnage, i'd go for removal, you'll sleep easier any way.

If you're going away for a couple of days then I would cut my losses and remove the entire coral from the tank, brown jelly disease can spread to other corals.

If you're going away for a couple of days then I would cut my losses and remove the entire coral from the tank, brown jelly disease can spread to other corals.

in this situati agree.. its just not worth the risk if you are not there to monitor it..

Brown Jelly

Hey Lighty,

Had the same on my frogspawn. Lost 2 of the 3 heads... took the frogspawn, and I've cut away the skeleton with the affected parts. Then made a strong iodine solution and soaked the coral in it for about 5 minutes. Placed it in my sump for a day, and thereafter back in the tank. No other problems with the brown jelly... just sad to say that the brown jelly came from the LFS!

Tinus

Back
Top Bottom