Brine hatchery design

FDB

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am playing around with hatching brine.
Some eggs float, others sink.
Using soft airation, they move around and hatch.
Still. Some get stuck to the top and sides of the tank, and other sink never to hatch.
The BBS swim around all over.

When you switch the airation off, the eggs drop to the bottom while some still float at the top. again the BBS swims around.

If you put a strong light on them, they swim AWAY from the stong light. If you put a medium light on them, they swim towards the light (they gather quite quickly)

So here is my latest test design i hope to build over the weekend:
The tank is dark on the left (Spraypainted, or whatever) and has a lid where you can put new eggs in. The ones that float will float and stay on the left. The ones that sink will sink. Adding airation will move the sinkers around, but the floaters stay at the top. (Unless of course you GOOI the bubbles)

24 hours later the eggs hatch.
When you want to harvest, you switch the light on on the right hand side and the airpump off. The BBS swims to the right and you open your tap to collect them (on teh right). You can add water and switch the airpump on again and repeat the cycle to get the next late hatching batch if any.

Ideally if this works, i would need two of these. After about a week's use, i can drain the tank via the bottom valve and flush the system while teh second one is in operation.

Eggs can be added in the mornings and evenings to get a well cycled batch of fresh BBS.

Any thoughts before i build this prototype?
23834af264f5ab5d7.jpg

Cheerz
Me.

Not bad. i'm just wonder if a heater is necessary and will you be controlling the airstone?

Also what happens if something gets stuck in the clear area? how will you get that out?

But very interesting. Let me know how it goes.

a heater is important. You get faster and better hatching at 25-28degrees.
Yes. I will be controlling the airflow to the airstone to ensure there is only a mild flow in the tank.

They should in theory not get stuck in the clear area.
I have not seen eggs that either do not float or sink when the air is turned off for about an hour.
So those that sink will either hatch, or never hatch and will float around in teh tank (Clear area or not)
But as soon as you switch the air off, the sinkers drop to the bottom and gravity pulls them to the left bottom.

Henk.
I cannot see your photos. (I think my proxy blocks whereever you placed them)
But please mail them to me at francoisdbeer @ gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom