Brick in Sump

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm getting my first tank together.

My skimmer is a bit short and I need to lift it above the water level in the sump:

# Is it OK to pop it on a brick placed in the sump?
# Do I need to put anything between the glass and the brick?

Thank you
Fanie

Rather dont use a brick,chance of breaking your base if you drop it by accident and not sure about what it leach over time.What I found works pretty well is make a box from egg crate or use those plastic electrical boxes....light and wont leach....

No, dont place a brick in you sump....you dont know what kinds of stuff it can leach etc....rather use a plasteic container (wifes tupperware)...or make a egg crate stand....something like that....brick is not a good idea IMO. :)

In my previous system I had a brick under my skimmer no problems.This new setup have a egg crate box I build

In theory a brick is safe, it's hardened clay and shouldn't leach at all, I think @Paul B has mentioned this before. But to err on the side of caution until I have tested it I would say no

This is something I am testing at the mo

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 50mm PVC pipe, short lengths that lie flat. With skimmer on top of it.

I have used plastic steel reinforcing stools; they go in the concrete in slabs to support the steel to keep it in the concrete.
There is one that you can cut the legs to suit the height you need and the plastic is none toxic in salt water.
I used them back when I used skimmer to get the right height and for other supports with the aquarium and bio system.

If you use an electrical box make sure there is no copper. Often the threads used to attach the cover plate are made from copper.

I'm using a brick for the same purpose in my sump with no issues. i just used a tooth brush to clean, and then soaked the brick in RO water for about a hour, then cleaned again. No issues so far

I'm using a brick for the same purpose in my sump with no issues. i just used a tooth brush to clean, and then soaked the brick in RO water for about a hour, then cleaned again. No issues so far

I almost did the same thing, the only difference was I didn't use a toothbrush or soak it in RO water for an hour, or cleaned it again. I more or less took it from my yard and threw it in my tank :tt2:

Back
Top Bottom