Brett's minimalist shallow reef

the tank is looking stunning bud. cant wait to see it filled up. on the insulating the copper died, I suggest you get some armaflex from an AC guy (the black insulated tubing) its not expensive and they should give you some for free. much safer on the condensate, you don't want condensation from your copper pipes to fall into the sump.

Thanks man! Hopefully filling up this weekend! :thumbup:

I will definitely be putting armorflex to insulate the tube that is not submerged but what I was referring to in the post above is the part that is in water. For guys that can't get titanium tube, they could just put heat shrink over soft copper tube and bend it by hand into a coil.

Looking GOOOOD!!! What grain size did you eventully go with? Sugarfine? How's the overflow sound?

Shot Brent! I got 0.5-1mm and 1-2mm to play with. The 0.5-1mm was way to fine! Vortech blew it around like crazy. So I ended up using 1-2mm. That's what you see in the pic.
The overflow really silent! The whole tank is really silent. Quite stoked about that.

Last edited:
Everything going well so far. The curve 5 skimmer is leaking quite a bit of micro bubbles but Il wait till there is a bio load before a start fiddling with it. But other than that Im very happy with the setup. Really enjoying the reef angel and the Radion pro.

Here are some more pics. Iv just got a couple pieces of dry live rock for now, waiting for more LR. Please excuse the wires nest, waiting for my chiller and one or to other things before tackle that!

Can anyone tell my why my photos get rotated 90 degrees if they are in the correct orientation on photobucket?

IMG_4128_zps0aec8ab7.jpg

IMG_4126_zps79a4401a.jpg

IMG_4121_zps8c989a04.jpg

IMG_4113_zps19e5ed9f.jpg

IMG_4102_zps88908d9a.jpg

IMG_4120_zps9bccdc77.jpg

IMG_4133_zpsdf0d9b08.jpg

IMG_4120_zps9bccdc77.jpg

IMG_4123_zpseaf377b2.jpg

That's some of the best rock I've ever seen! Wonder where you got those gems from :p Otherwise what a terrible tank, no space for tangs :p Was looking at whats left of my rock after its been raided and I definitely don't have enough for a 1.7 anymore :/ Have to go raid someone else now ;)

What setting have you got your lights on for them to be so purple? Is that how you will be running it or is that just the camera?

That's some of the best rock I've ever seen! Wonder where you got those gems from :p Otherwise what a terrible tank, no space for tangs :p Was looking at whats left of my rock after its been raided and I definitely don't have enough for a 1.7 anymore :/ Have to go raid someone else now ;)

What setting have you got your lights on for them to be so purple? Is that how you will be running it or is that just the camera?

Haha 2 pieces! You call that being raided?

It's the camera that makes it look like that. It's running at 25% output with all colours at 100%. Looks white in person though

Last edited:
Haha 2 pieces! You call that being raided?

It's the camera that makes it look like that. It's running at 25% output with all colours at 100%. Looks white in person though
haha you werent the only one that has raided it, other Brett and Luke too...:whistling: Will have to come round once you have some livestock to have a look.
Just got back from getting 200 litres of NSW. Eish time to sleep:whistling:

Last edited:
Very nice work bud :) See you are skimming VERY wet there? Have you smelled any die-off in your water? The bucket where my rocks are cycling is minging like heck! Gonna have to do another water change :/

Last edited:
Very nice work bud :) See you are skimming VERY wet there? Have you smelled any die-off in your water? The bucket where my rocks are cycling is minging like heck! Gonna have to do another water change :/

Thanks man! Ya my salinity was slightly high so skimmed wet till it came right. I had the rock in RO water for 2 days and it banged like crazy dude!

Thanks man! Ya my salinity was slightly high so skimmed wet till it came right. I had the rock in RO water for 2 days and it banged like crazy dude!
Yeah I thought it would! Great thing about NSW is the bacteria which must be working in overdrive cause my rock is not smelling as bad as it did in the start. Will still need to do a few more WC i think. Do you want me to keep some NSW aside for you? I actually have some extra at the moment if you want some:1:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom