Bonsai trees

butcherman

Reaction score
Who has them and who has grown them from scratch?

here is my little sprout.

IMG_5758.JPG

at one stage i had 60 of them buggers!!! i cut it down to about 10 now but ill take some pics tonight

will also take some pics tonight i have an black monkey thorn (acacia burkei) had for 7 years and just replanted in December and a knob thorn tree which i bought in December.

Slow but very enjoyable hobby.
A good hobby to start while young and something you can keep for a long long time.
I have a few as well, some nice big ones which I bought (show pieces) and then a few I started from seedlings

crap pic , but this is my Bougainvillea - bought 13 years ago as a "plant in the black bag "

They very brittle so the shape has changed over the years as i accidentally snap a branch off every now and again...

378254ca3c2abd0e7.jpg

there are books of info , but basically treat them like a outdoor plant , with more water because there roots cant grow down looking for water .
The can be indoors for a few days , but are outdoor trees.
every two years , repot them and trim the roots.
give a little fertilizer and trim leaves and branches when you have time .
they are awesome because they don't demand time every night or week .

but all trees have a slightly different need so reading the books or goggling info is best.
I learnt this year after 13 years with my bougenvilla - if you want it to flower - give it less water - its a defense mechanism , where it will flower and spread its pollen when in drought situations. :)

Me to have about 12 bonsai love to take trees that garden service remove I get cut a 300mm above the roots then plant it a plastic bowl and make holes with soldering iron before planting the plant

Back
Top Bottom