Urgent help needed blue Manadrin is dying

Reaction score
Hi all

At this very moment in time, my blue mandarin is dying and i dont know if there is anything i can do.

ok, where to start...
lets start at the end, since friday night he has been acting strange, not swimming around plucking, sitting in a hole in the rock and acting really weak, not flapping his "wings" and not eating.

Tonight, the current at the bottom of the tank flipped him over so i took him out, i cant risk him dying and getting caught under a rock causing nitrates.

i currently have him in a container with tank water and he is kind of flapping his "wings" but when i tried to put the him into the rsm, he just goes with the flow like a dead fish, flipping over and lying at the bottom of the container upside down.

Observations:
my female mandarin tried to peck/chase him once since we got him, this was during the week.
his fins are ragged, like he was attacked, this is only as of today.
he does this weird hiccup every 5 seconds or so (last hour or so)
his breathing is shallow with the above intermittent hiccup.
and he is curling up on and off.

some quick info:
there are pods all over the tank glass and he was pecking.
we tried to QT in rsm but he seemed more stressed, so we moved him into the dt 4 hours after acclimation and he was better.
he had pinched sides but even tho he isnt fat or normal, the pinched sides are fainter.

i dont know what to do. is there anything i can do.

many thanks

B

When did you get him?

Does not sound like he adapted too well. If there are loads of pods available and he is not eating, then there is not a lot I can suggest further. Sorry

thanks anyway, it was a risk getting him even tho we could see he was physically really skinny.

he was eating, but no where near as much as the female. (they're actually the same size).

i just tried to put him in the rsm again, the current dragged him around so i fear he hasnt got many minutes left :(

thanks anyway. just one of those things...

hey man .. I would try QT the fish for a few days. I don't think its important to ha e a lot of pods around him right now because he's sick and he simply won't eat. if he was starving to death he would eat. try put him in a tank or something away from light so hr can rest and hope for the best .. not much you can do really

try keep.him.away from strong currents as that wound stress him even further and drain the little energy he has left

@hotsauce, i'll try the rsm again, no flow, but skimmer on, so there's still "flow" and oxygen.

not looking great, but its worth a shot.

thanks

he was eating, but no where near as much as the female. (they're actually the same size).

Sorry to hear about your mandarin :( May he rest in peace.
I think the problem was that your female was the same size as him. If you do decide to get another male, make sure that he is at least double her size. They will fight if they are similar in size.

sorry man

Back
Top Bottom