bloated convict?

Look at the area behind the head along the dorsal ridge as well as the abdominal area for ematiation

I'm going to throw out more scanarios.

Is the abdomen swollen?
Are the scales raised around the intestinal cavity?
Does the fishes' eye appear as if it has popeye?

Did you buy the fish thin?

Look at the area behind the head along the dorsal ridge as well as the abdominal area for ematiation
ematiation?wth?
I'm going to throw out more scanarios.

Is the abdomen swollen?YES!!:whistling:
Are the scales raised around the intestinal cavity?Couldnt tell
Does the fishes' eye appear as if it has popeye?Nope

Did you buy the fish thin?
:lookhere:
he's a local fella
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks for your assistance tony

Scuba how long has he been in the tank, if its a short period then this is just
a adjustment to the new enviroment sounds stupid but next time you in a lfs and they have yellow tangs check out the stomach, the same happens with many other tangs but i have seen this in yellow tangs mostly, apparently its got something to do with not digesting fresh food, as in food straight out the ocean, also remember that most fish will take a while to get the digestive track working properly after the stress of been caught.

Scuba how long has he been in the tank, if its a short period then this is just
a adjustment to the new enviroment sounds stupid but next time you in a lfs and they have yellow tangs check out the stomach, the same happens with many other tangs but i have seen this in yellow tangs mostly, apparently its got something to do with not digesting fresh food, as in food straight out the ocean, also remember that most fish will take a while to get the digestive track working properly after the stress of been caught.
he's been in the tank two or three weeks i guess:whistling: not really sure on the time frame:biggrin: but i guess you could call him new to the tank, and i caught him maybe a week before he went in, so i guess it could be something along those lines, i'll just keep monitoring it, and keep my ''purely observer'' status and not do anything but hope. thanks guys:thumbup:

Scuba try a bit of rock with greens on it from a rock pool, it will work if he gets the chance to chow between all the other fish, this might sound stupid but try to change the rock every three days to keep the growth fresh.

The belly could be bloated either as they guys have said from eating too much. See if it goes down after a day or so. If it gets worse and the scales of the whole body start to stand up and the eyes look like they have popeye read below

If the fishes' stomach remains bloated it could be gas or fluid trapped in the abdomen. It is commonly an infection by pseudomonas or cornebacterium. It's not as bad as it sounds and is easily treated. PLace the guys in a QT tank and add erythromycin which is a antimicrobial antibiotic at a dosage of 10mg/litre for three days. Most vets will give this to you in prescription and it's what dentists prescribe for an abcess. If you can't catch the guy soak the food in the medicine and feed it till the guy looks better. Your other fish might even benefit from being infected.

How's the fish doing?

His stomach is going down now, wasnt able to get greens from the ocean with varsity etc, but he's been eating a bit of nori etc whenever i feed, looking a bit more active too, so i hope he's coming right. still looks very skinny but at least he's more active which is a good sign right?

no that i've noticed. will have a look when i can. but i thought it could be an obstruction because of it not being able to digest the food, didnt know it would eat sand, but i guess that works out, its got to push the obstruction through somehow

Hopefully. Mine died the same way, bloated and thin! U sure no other fish cut him? But i would say keep up the veggies. Try some Chaeto, it gets past almost unchanged. If hes passing faeces hel b ok, if not then its an absolute obstruction
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Scuba,while we're on the subject of fat pigfish,check out my cellulite ridden porky........
67249b01fb5c1d50.jpg

67249b01ff150559.jpg

NOtice he is hovering above my beautiful red algae....:(....I wish I had someone to give it to:whistling:....the algae that is!!!

Back
Top Bottom