Blind clowns

marcel have you tried running activated carbon ? with the gills being swollen it would seem there is a nasty chemical in your tank. ps what temp is your tank?

marcel have you dosed penicillin in your tanks ? apparently it leada to blindness in clowns. high nitrates also cause blindness

Last edited:
I would definitely think a kh 4-5 would cause a ph swing between morning and evening that could cause sufficient stress coupled with high temps to onset a bacterial disease, try kanaplex by seachem and keep kh at 9-11dkh

I would definitely think a kh 4-5 would cause a ph swing between morning and evening that could cause sufficient stress coupled with high temps to onset a bacterial disease, try kanaplex by seachem and keep kh at 9-11dkh

This is what I also had in mind. Obviously I didn't check PH in the morning and in the evening. When I saw the low KH, I topped it up mediately.
Will have a look into Kanaplex.
As far as I know, it is safe to use in a fish only system. It does not effect the bacteria in the filter.
Would you agree on that?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would expect it to have some effect on biological filtration although packaging claims it doesnt,
Nemos janitor brings up another point poison but then i would expect every fish to be affected.

Last edited:
it could be The NSW had some sort of toxin we cant test for? if it is metal toxicity then Cuprisorb would help as would GFO ( it has capacity to absorb not only phosphates but many toxic substances like cyanide and Arsenic.

However how many fish are showing symptoms? out of total?

Last edited:
I would expect it to have some effect on biological filtration although packaging claims it doesnt,
Nemos janitor brings up another point poison but then i would expect every fish to be affected.

:thumbup:
Not much info is available on iron toxiticy in aquariums. Most references refer to iron in a reef tank and the importance of corals and the effect on Cyanobacteria.

All I know from the many budget pumps that have burned over the years many long lived fish have perished.

My under standing, depending on the situation, is that the hydrolysis caused by the electrical leek of a faulty pump, causes iron to enter the water chemistary. dropping ph, increasing co2 , and... For me the iron test has been the tell tail.

Why some fish are affected or show more simptions than others? Perhaps it is due to lack of exposure due to near " sterile" conditions the fish are kept in. I do not know. Or something else.

Very interesting case Marcel. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

In any case, work on a regime of removing heavy metals and a bacterial one.

Last edited:
All I know from the many budget pumps that have burned over the years many long lived fish have perished.

I totally agree on this. I have also bought quite a few of these 'Budget" pumps just to throw them away cos the box and warranty landed in the dustbin.

I hope you get this issue sorted soon Marcel, i think you need some downhill road after all the high mountains you had to cross in the last year or so.

I have two female ocellaris, which are behaving strange. Both are usually very greedy eaters. That changed and it seemed to be they are kinda blind. Today I made the test and I can catch them without any fast movement with my hand.
I had a similar fish, chromis female, which was trying to eat, but missed the food. The chromis swam into other fish, glass pane, etc. After a while he seemed to have his eye sight back.
Is there anybody who came across something like that?

We had a Maroon Clown which went blind, not sure why, but I hand fed her for many years, she carried on breeding without a problem, but her sight did not come back.
Cheers Anita

We had a Maroon Clown which went blind, not sure why, but I hand fed her for many years, she carried on breeding without a problem, but her sight did not come back.
Cheers Anita

Wow, thanks Anita. I should really try that. I know that I can keep them alive with hand feeding, but I thought they would never ever breed again.

I tested for Iron in the water, but nothing was detectable.

Yesterday I lost one of the three blind females and had the chance to take a picture of the body. All other juveniles were looking the very same.
The did not open the gill covers. They were like that. Also very weird is that the side fins (whats the name for them?) facing to the front. If a fish dies, these fins lay usually against his body.

@Achilles

Any idea what could be the cause? I also started to mix kanaplex into the food.

25074f2b7a9648f18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See how the kanaplex works but i still think this is a bacteria however not sure what type or what antibiotic will be best, perhaps Two oceans can help

IT maybe fish tuberculosis/ mycobacteria

Looks like at least one, if not more fish with deformed mouths in the photos you posted. Possibly deformed gill covers as well.

Back
Top Bottom