Bleaching - always heat related ?

Reaction score
So i have seen a few episodes on the nat geo etc channels where they keep on mentioning heat and rising sea temps being the cause of bleaching...

Im fairly sure its more than that, any big change in chemistry can cause it also.

Which brings me to my problem. I had some bryopsis so i raised the MG to 1500 in Decemeber. Right about that time my thermometer gave me false readings which i didnt know at the time. When i figured it out the temp was at 30C.

So a combination of MG increase and/or temp bleached the following:

Nuclear palys
Vietnam frog spawn
Green birdsnest

The palys are still alive but nowhere near the right color
The frogspawn opens fully but the tentacles are white
The birdsnest is just about dead

Im hoping the other two recover. Water temp is back to under 28 and MG back in normal range also

@rakabos I have also seen all these shows where they say "Heat".. it is a bit misleading ....

The real reason in the ocean is "decalsification", or as I understand, when the heat rises and more carbon monoxide is introduced as usual, calcuim uptake is affected and corals start bleaching...

As I understand it, not concreate or anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah lack of O2 with rising temps must be a factor also...

Jip... part of why the corals cant take up calcuim and all other nutrients. I think in our closed system tanks its more a temp issue, but it has the same kind of effect.. something goes out of sync and they dont like it..

I hope your corals recover bud, never nice to look at something and not being able to help

Back
Top Bottom