Biological filtration question

Reaction score
Need some advise, spoke to the guy selling me a tank, he says the sump is not
big enough for a DSB, he suggests putting a small tank on top of the sump with
a UV light and a saltwater plant that looks like grass (forgot the name).

Would this be effective filtration or are there better ways that are cost effective
as well?

Thanks again

What you are talking about sounds like a DSB with a fuge. The green planty grass is Cheato.
I was considering the same route but I just went for a DSB and it seems to work quite well.
WRT the UV, lots of different thoughts on those. I run mine 24/7 some people are opposed to them.

A DSB is a great NNR and should be part of every tank and it is most probably your cheapest option.
There are the aquamedic nitrate reductors but you will end up paying a good couple of Rands for them.

If I am not mistaken Alan runs a DSB as his only form of NNR. Correct me if I am mistaken Alan.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
That's correct Gaboon. Smithers hit it on the head. The sump usually contains the DSB, which (in most cases) doubles up as a refugium. The refugium is a "refuge" for little critters to grow and populate.... The macro algae can be placed anywhere - either in the DSB, or refugium.....

This take note (and perhaps read the other thread where Sara commented on DSB's) that your DSB should be at least between 10cm and 15cm deep for it to really work correctly (I believe).

The idea behind the macro algae (sea plant) is to "suck up" nitrates and phosphates in the water, which could cause problems with the other (wanted and costly) life-stock (ie. corals, invertebrates, and fish)...

Thanks guys, the problem is the sump is not big enough for a DSB, it only has 2 chambers. Is there a way around this? Will post pics when I get the tank on Friday:)

So excited having sleepless nights!

Gaboon, what is the dimensions of the sump ?

Gaboon there are many ways to skin this cat. All depends on the amount of space you have available etc. You can plumb a remote DSB off you sump and have it filtering back in again as well. This can be done cheaply. I'll post some pics of my sump a bit later this evening.

Sweet thanks DR look forward to it. Will post pics when they deliver the tank:thumbup:

Here the sump dimensions: 540x280x350, I'm taking the foam out out of the first chamber.

sumpskimmer.jpg

Any suggestions for a DSB and what size should it be in relation to the sump?

Thanks again!

There are many ways to get a dsb plumbed into your system, Like dr said a remote dsb is pretty easy to ad on as long as you don't mind a container next to your stand.

Will try to explain this as best as possible.

Firstly you gonna need a container/drum/storage box, something easy to drill into for feed pipe and outlet.
I found those big black storage containers one can by at pick n pay work well for this.
You will need to make sure that the remote dsb container sits higher than the sump not by much a 100mm or so is ok.
This would be for a gravity fed return. Pumping in and pumping out will not work.
A small power head in your sump would have to feed the remote dsb, plumb this with flexible silicone tubing. Whatever size tubing you use for the feed make sure that your return is at least double the size to ensure the return water flows back easily.

Your return pipe would be better if made from say 50mm upvc waste pipe, available from any hardware store, plumb your dsb return pipe back into your sump, this must be gravity fed. The return inlet needs to be at your optimum water level so say 250mm from the bottom of the container. Remember your dsb would only need to be 10cm to 15cm so another 10cm of water surface above is cool.

So its pretty simple remote dsb, water pumped in and gravity fed back. where you position it is up to you. above, next to anywhere as long as gravity plays a role it is cool.

Remember to flood test make sure that your sump will be able to hold the extra water if you have a power failure.

I think that is about it if anything is unclear just ask.

Good luck.

Tridan, thanks, that sounds straight forward enough. One question... no one laugh... would the return pump back into the 1st chamber on the left? What should I put in place of the foam?

ok these are my recomendations to you , what i would do.
The chamber with all the media in now , i would put a bit of cheato, cheato is macro algae good for absorbing nutrients, and the return from the remote dsb.

Chamber wher the skimmer is currently i would have all the other hardware, this been tank return pump, remote dsb feed pump, skimmer feed pump and maybe a heater, sounds like alot but you should be able to fit it all in.

Hmmm, i would empty all the filter media out the first chamber put your heater and skimmer in this chamber, it is important to have your skimmer catch as much raw tank water as possible to skim it before it goes through any other filtration. In the second chamber i would put a bucket DSB and the return pump, that is if you want to keep the sump as is. For a bucket DSB get as large a tub as possible about the 10cm deep and fill with sandand submerse into the water, the water will flow over it and out the return pump i dont see a chance for a refugium as such. Otherwise if you have the space another small tank or plastic container with an overflow to flow back into the sump.

Back
Top Bottom