Best Goldie Food

Reaction score
What is the most nutritious food we can feed Goldies (That is also not a huge mission)??
I use a few different types from live Brine to marine krill and frozen...
But I know someone has the best answer..:tt2:
Whatever works best, I will personally give that person a bunch of Goldies when they come visit;)

19914ec4ae5e1bedc.jpg

19914ec4ae5dc0794.jpg

id say mysis if you can get it as it is more nutritionally balanced , if you can shred up normal prawn into very fine pieces that will work too.

Nice Anthias!

Last edited:
bru the ones you gave me over a year ago are doing strong! (except for 2 losses to predators, but that's sorted now!)

once a month or so I make a mixture of all sorts of seafood (mussels, crab, prawns etc), chuck it in a blender, add some nori, garlic, flakes, pellets, vitamins etc, and freeze into ice cubes. feed that a few times a week, and the rest of the time they get pellets and flakes from my autofeeder 3 times a day. they go mad for everything I throw at them, and are really healthy - one turned into a male a while ago.

on that note, when are we going for a dive? :p

id say mysis if you can get it as it is more nutritionally balanced , if you can shred up normal prawn into very fine pieces that will work too.

Nice Anthias!

Got the Mysis, freeze dried version!!! It is crappy to feed coz you can soak it for ages and it still doesn't sink properly!!!:blush:

bru the ones you gave me over a year ago are doing strong! (except for 2 losses to predators, but that's sorted now!)

once a month or so I make a mixture of all sorts of seafood (mussels, crab, prawns etc), chuck it in a blender, add some nori, garlic, flakes, pellets, vitamins etc, and freeze into ice cubes. feed that a few times a week, and the rest of the time they get pellets and flakes from my autofeeder 3 times a day. they go mad for everything I throw at them, and are really healthy - one turned into a male a while ago.

Howzit Stranger!
Yeah they do fine in a tank... Eat everything, but do yourself a favour add a few more a year later and check the colour difference that the 'freshly caught' jobies have...
Need to keep bright lumo Orange not average joe yellow!!!
Get my drift:blush:

maybe its just habbit but fish roe has always been a good food to feed goldies.. i think that in combination with a good vitimin and perhaps an occational feeding of live brine newly hatched could be the way to go..

brent do you know Morris? that dude is a legend with goldies.. he had well over 200 in his system when i was there a few years ago..

he used a massive refuigium filled with cleaner shrimps that spawned regularly as food for them but this was in addition to what he was feeding.. unfortunatley i am not sure what his base food was...

WOW..could you freeze a empty blister pack for me...!!!:p:whistling:..WOW my Nemo's and Blenny would go BALISTIC over that...:p..it would most likely last them a year...:p:lol:

Sea Goldie and the correct latin name is Pseudanthias squamipinnis...? Is that the one...?
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-07/fish/index.php ..Sorry not to clued up on Fish names and a lot look so much alike...:p
Thanks Belinda, nice little article...
I feed everything they describe in there, but even with a tank full of goldies including 2 wild caught males & 1 tank 'changed' one (altogether about 16!;))
Had about 8 and just added another 8 last weekend.. new ones are lumo!
Can only be diet!
I have also noticed Goldies at LFS that are improted are pale yellow compared to local boytjies!!:biggrin:

maybe its just habbit but fish roe has always been a good food to feed goldies.. i think that in combination with a good vitimin and perhaps an occational feeding of live brine newly hatched could be the way to go..

brent do you know Morris? that dude is a legend with goldies.. he had well over 200 in his system when i was there a few years ago..

he used a massive refuigium filled with cleaner shrimps that spawned regularly as food for them but this was in addition to what he was feeding.. unfortunatley i am not sure what his base food was...
Les, get me his details!:whistling:

14844ec4b628dffd4.jpg

Believe or not ... my goldies seem to be doing very well with nutrafin Max .... In fact all my fish devour it for the past 2.5 years now ... Also do frozen foods now and then but they love this stuff .... Somewhere in the mix is also Ocean Nutrition but this I found to be a good all rounder .... I have this stuff feeding every 6 hours on auto feeders .....

Last edited:
will see what i can organise for you brent :)
the main issue is most foods will feed them and keep them sustained but it often results in them loosing theor colour...and they go pale.. good vitimin enriched foods will assist in peak health and colour...

I have also noticed Goldies at LFS that are improted are pale yellow compared to local boytjies!!

Hey Brent, we have noticed this too! Our locals are so much brighter and prettier than the imports. We feed ours cyclop-eeze which is apparently meant to help with colour. They also eat everything else thrown into the tank including freshly hatched brine, pellets and chopped up seafood mix. So far they seem to have kept their orange colour but we will see when we add a few more from this years juvis on our favorite reef...

Does anyone know where I can get fish eggs from in Durban? Really keen to start feeding this to our fishes

Les, get me his details!:whistling:

mmmm Last I heard Morris was on his way to live in Australia (a few months back) and he was VERY @#$%^$%^ OFF .... Apparently someone sent the authorities to his house for selling of locallly caught stuff yet he had imported livestock and his personal pets were part of his collection ...

Every time I speak to Morris he is about to leave for Aus. Wonder if he ever will?
Regarding his bust, I'm sure he knows the local Parks Board so well, they probably just came round to his house for a braai;)

mmmm Last I heard Morris was on his way to live in Australia (a few months back) and he was VERY @#$%^$%^ OFF .... Apparently someone sent the authorities to his house for selling of locallly caught stuff yet he had imported livestock and his personal pets were part of his collection ...

interesting.. i dident know.. all i can say is his colelction was extreemly impressive and that he had caught every fish in his display..

sad to see there is trouble here as he really was an inspiration in my early days...

Hey Brent, we have noticed this too! Our locals are so much brighter and prettier than the imports. We feed ours cyclop-eeze which is apparently meant to help with colour. They also eat everything else thrown into the tank including freshly hatched brine, pellets and chopped up seafood mix. So far they seem to have kept their orange colour but we will see when we add a few more from this years juvis on our favorite reef...

Does anyone know where I can get fish eggs from in Durban? Really keen to start feeding this to our fishes
Hermie... You got a great point, I do the cyclop-eeze too, but fish eggs... never thought of doing the caviar thing:eek:
Maybe we must check local Fish shop.... not the pet trade version:lol::lol::lol:

Every time I speak to Morris he is about to leave for Aus. Wonder if he ever will?
Regarding his bust, I'm sure he knows the local Parks Board so well, they probably just came round to his house for a braai;)

No idea:lol: I know someone who knows someone who knows someone else .... who knows Morris ... I tried to get into contact with him once or twice but was brushed off on the phone ... Maybe he thought I was with Parks Board ....

Back
Top Bottom