At Last!

EFJ

Reaction score
At last, i have finally acquired my first marine tank! First off i must thank Thinus once again for a great deal:thumbup:, i got a lot more than expected and also being such a nice guy. I have loaded my first pics of the tank and some of the extra stuff that i got. A lot of work needs to be done first before i can add anything into the tank, cleaning, re-siliconing and piping. Have to be patient but it will be well worth it!:thumbup:

54024f79b806c31ef.jpg
54024f79b873923fd.jpg
54024f79b8aa7831e.jpg
54024f79b8d6b72e7.jpg
54024f79b7b99906e.jpg
54024f79b91bccd74.jpg
54024f79b72699bdd.jpg
54024f79b7dd38a85.jpg

this has serious potential, great buy looking forward to you filling her up

Details of the tank are: DT 2400x600x600, Sump 2500x500x600. Reeftek TS4 skimmer+2xoctupus 3200l/h pumps. A 3200l/h return pump. A 9000l/h fountain pump for the closed loop system. I have 2 DIY T5 lighting with giesmann tubes+2 new giesmann tubes as spares. There is a ATU unit included+3 bags rinsed play sand and 2 bags aragonite.

Thanks guys! Lots of potential and lots of ideas, one of them coming from butcherman's led build. Hoping to get tank of the month one day. Not rushing it due to my houses government setting her laws, he he he he!!!! (certain things dont get seen so certain things arent known).

congrats man!

Thanks Tremayn! Like your system, being through it more than once. I have read alot but always willing to learn. We all learn something new everyday!:thumbup:

Still planning. I would like to run a ATS on my system, now my question, I want to know if i can run the ATS with a DSB and skimmer or only with the DSB? Also would it be necessary for a DSB in the sump or can i use a shallow sand bed?

Thanks Tremayn! Like your system, being through it more than once. I have read alot but always willing to learn. We all learn something new everyday!:thumbup:

thanks dude! Yes we all learn something new everyday :) Im still a noob

Still planning. I would like to run a ATS on my system, now my question, I want to know if i can run the ATS with a DSB and skimmer or only with the DSB? Also would it be necessary for a DSB in the sump or can i use a shallow sand bed?

firstly what are you planning on keeping? The type of corals etc..

An ATS is really effective at nutrient export so I would recommend it although it does take maintenance. A DSB can be good but I personally never liked them, you have to seed it and its hard to get a big enough one. If you have the space to make a big DSB then thats cool, go for it and I would recommend having macro algea like chaeto on top of the DSB.

DSB, ATS and macro will be pretty bad ass IMO ;)

ok you do have lekker big space for a DSB.. Have you also considered a NP pellet reactor?

I am planning on keeping a mixed reef system, Softie,SPS and maybe later on LPS.

DSB, ATS and macro will be pretty bad ass IMO

Won't a ATS and macro be in competition for nutrients? I am also looking at cultivating live food for DT, thus the thought of using a scrubber+DSB or refuguim.

sounds good, yes you can run both, all depends on your bio-load, the worst that will happen is that one will die off

Thanks dallasg, but what would you think would be the best? I have a large tank so at the end once all is filled it will be quite alot of life in it.

well with out sounding stupid, the first question should be are you willing to put in the time needed to for each.

so an ATS will require cleaning every 2 weeks, checking the plumbing and efficiency is always optimal, where as macro algae is in a refugium and left to grow on its own.

while both will work, both have there pros and cons. if you are willing to do both then i recommend you do as you will get pods and nutrient export

Advice is as precious as gold! If i use both (which i will) then i don't necessarily need a DSB for the macro algea and i would be able to add in snails and other crustaceans for the added food export to my DT. I hope it's correct.

yes, you can use skimmer and LR, the bacteria we need for mineralisation and nitrification can grow everywhere.

so by having LR in your tank, using a skimmer, ATS and macro algae things will work fine, and should be very stable

i run skimmer, LR and denitrator

Ok i know what i want to do as far as the ATS, skimmer and the macro algae is concerned. Just need to know if it will be necessary for a DSB in the sump or can i go with a shallow sand bed? I just need to know if i can use the arag and play sand in my DT or if i have to aquire more sand?

there is no need for a DSB, but they are beneficial, i would use the aragonite for DT and playsand for DSB.
what would be the DSB size if you used one

that size DSB is worth, make a dsb + refugium combo with the ATS over that :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom