Arab's Tank

109349f41dd363ca8.jpg

Stomatella Snails

Stomatella-Varia.jpg

Stomatella varia snail
Picture by Brett and Brett's Reef

Stomatella snails are small fast-moving snails that look more like slugs than regular snails, although they do have small flat shells. There are several species available in the aquarium trade among which Stomatella varia is the most common. Stomatella snails can be bought in fish stores, but are also frequently brought into the aquarium with live rock. It can be hard to know exactly which species one keep if they have been introduced with live rock. They are 100% reef safe. Stomatella snails grow to be less than an inch (2.5 cm), and Stomatella varia will typically stay smaller than ¾ inch (1.9 cm). Stomatella snails come in a wide variety of colors from darker color such as grey, black and green to softer color such as orange and pinkish. Stomatella snails are mainly night active but can be out and about in the day time as well. The best time to observe them is during the night using a flashlight. When your snails are most active depends on the exact species of Stomatella snail you keep in your aquarium.
Stomatella snails are beneficial for reef aquariums as they are herbivores that will help control micro algae growth. They should not be kept with wrasses such as the four and six line wrasse or certain shrimps like the peppermint shrimp as these predators might eat the snails and be able to quickly decimate a population.
Stomatella snails are just like all other snails very sensitive towards copper and you should not use copper based medications in an aquarium containing these or other snails. There is a large risk that the snails will die and pollute the water.

Last edited:
Hi Arab - I am impressed. Your tank looks really good! Awesome man! GREAT SKIMMER! ;) What model did you get? The BM-150/160?

The snail LOOKS to me like some nassarius snail. Not 100%. Let's see what the others say about it.

Cheers mate! Keep up the good work!

Hi Arab - I am impressed. Your tank looks really good! Awesome man! GREAT SKIMMER! ;) What model did you get? The BM-150/160?

The snail LOOKS to me like some nassarius snail. Not 100%. Let's see what the others say about it.

Cheers mate! Keep up the good work!

BM 150

Nice and neat arab. I love your scaping!

Back
Top Bottom