Aquarium Lighting - MH

Here's a pic . . .
31514e2fd8fd03b6c.jpg

Alright thanks man... Would the 20 000k give off less lumans tho? Cos I read earlier on this tread that 20k gives off less lumans than the 10k. Lil confused about that :-\

Yes it does give of less lumens,but the effect is not as great as you would think since it also has more lumens in the spectrum that corals use to photosynthesize i.e around 420-460nm (this is normally where PURE actinic globes also peak;))

hi

some advise please just need to know if my lighting is sufficient
dimension 1800x600x600
only easy corals not much

2 x 150wt mh 20 000k
4 x 54wt t5 10 000k
2 x 54wt t5 actnic blue

hi

some advise please just need to know if my lighting is sufficient
dimension 1800x600x600
only easy corals not much

2 x 150wt mh 20 000k
4 x 54wt t5 10 000k
2 x 54wt t5 actnic blue
You could keep pretty much anything you want under that lighting, although because the lights are only 4ft and you have a 6ft tank, the last 30cm's or so at each end of the tank will have a lot less light, so concentrate most of your corals directly underneath your light unit.:)

Choice is yours. It's not a hard and fast rule that you HAVE to have only 1 MH every 2ft, it's just a guideline, you can have a MH every 15cm's if you really wanted. But as a guideline, 1 MH will cover 2sq ft. So if you've got 3ft of tank then either use one in the center and cover the rest with a pair of 39w T5's either side of the MH (front and back) then just place your most light demanding corals in the center of the tank, or mount 2 MH's at 1½ ft each (so if your tank is 90cm's then mount each MH at the center line of 22.5cm from either side, or maybe a bit more to get better coverage in the middle, maybe 25cm's or so).

Last edited:
How frequent do I have to replace a MH bulb?
Hi len,
Just picking up on the last page, haven't read the entire thread, but replacement has to be worked out according to usage.. For instance my MH 250W are only on for 4 hours a day, they have been running for 1 Year 3 months and corals are still looking very well!!... Now if they were however running for 8 hours a day I would have replaced after 1 year!;)

hi there, MY tank is 40cm high I have 150watts MH at the moment but a nicer unit is for sale but it is 250 watts , Is it to much ? plz help asap:1:
250w is a lot of light for a 40cm tank, but it will still work if you really want it, if you can mount it higher than the 150w then you should be fine, especially as your corals may get light shock from the extra light. Are you able to raise your lighting?

so here we go... looking at re-doing my lighting...
tank.. 2m x 65cm x 75cm (water level at 71cm) lighting installed 35cm above water level...
currently a mix of softies n sps, but hopefully move towards more sps with the help of better lighting.
i currently run 2 x 150w mh, 4 x 39w, 4 x 54w, 2 x 80w (all t5's)....
i'd love to go led.. but the price, the price.....?
so.. any1 have an opinion..?

i am still a fan of T5, trying LEDS, on that size i would look at orphek DIF's they pack a punch like 400w MH

so here we go... looking at re-doing my lighting...
tank.. 2m x 65cm x 75cm (water level at 71cm) lighting installed 35cm above water level...
currently a mix of softies n sps, but hopefully move towards more sps with the help of better lighting.
i currently run 2 x 150w mh, 4 x 39w, 4 x 54w, 2 x 80w (all t5's)....
i'd love to go led.. but the price, the price.....?
so.. any1 have an opinion..?

Well I happen to have 2 x 250w MH units for sale if you're interested. I ran it on a 600 deep tank and had sps on the substrate growing

Hardware for sale - Jhb - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Back
Top Bottom