Aquarium Controller

Reaction score
Ok, I suppose it is time for me to bury the old Nokia 3310 ...(joke) and move with the flow wrt technology.
I know everyone has a different view on the Controllers in the aquarium trade, yet I do not know what is what and how it works.
Would love to get something that can measure all the parameters, and add what is short, switch lights on and off, feed the fish and coral, do water changes etc...:lol:, but doubt I would ever afford such a system if it is available. In the meantime, I'll make due with the Controller I have, in the form of Alida...:thumbup: .

But yes, I am searching for an Aquarium Controller and one that is easy to use, and can do a lot without costing a lot (I am spending a small fortune as it is already on a lot of other aquarium goodies)

Please, can you provide data and details in Layman's terms as well as prices. Am also going to put this in the public forum instead of the Sponsors Forum as I would like to hear what other members say about the product they use.

Sean, have a look at arduino if you are into diy.
The reality is that even the very high end equipment hardly measure and control every aspect we would like it to.
At the moment we are resricted with hobbyist computers to:
- temp monitor and control,
- lighting control
- ORP monitor and control
- pH monitor and control
- Salinity monitoring and (I think) control???
- Wave pump control.
- Water level monitor and control
- Nitrate reduction control

Some of the high end industrial toys allow control of all of the above and has a few more options like:

- Calcium monitoring and control
- Alkalinity monitoring and control
- CO2 monitor and control
- Potassium monitor and control

As to what it will cost and why one would want want to know and control the inside of a maggots ... Is a bit of a mystery, but we can all dream about the toys we want.

Last edited:
Sean contact @Nippy he has a Aquatronica for sale. At one time i had about 30 units installed in clients tanks. They give very little issues.

The other make we install is the profilux. Also very good make and also gives very few issues.

The Aquatronica is very easy to install and program and is more plug and play. The profilux is a lot less user friendly (you need to be a bit more computer and programing literate) but it has a lot more advanced features.

[FS]: Aquatronica Computer For Sale: Melville - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Last edited:
Perhaps post what you want it to do for you and it would be easier for people to assist.

Perhaps post what you want it to do for you and it would be easier for people to assist.
Would love to get something that can measure all the parameters, and add what is short, switch lights on and off, feed the fish and coral, do water changes etc

:whistling:

Jokes aside. Thanks Ivan and Keith for your input thus far.

Basically, I need something controlling parameters.
Lights, pumps etc are on timers, so no real need for that.
Something that can adjust (almost like attaching a doser to it) the PH when low or high, Adjust the ALK when low or high, etc.
Hope it makes a bit more sense

Jokes aside. Thanks Ivan and Keith for your input thus far.

Basically, I need something controlling parameters.
Lights, pumps etc are on timers, so no real need for that.
Something that can adjust (almost like attaching a doser to it) the PH when low or high, Adjust the ALK when low or high, etc.
Hope it makes a bit more sense

Sean, considering that you only want it to control pH, then a simple R1500ish in the form of a pH controller would suffice.

Alkalinity monitoring and control is not something available in hobby grade controllers, even the very top end ones.... PITY!!

With top up water containing kalkwasser, sufficient aeration of water in tank and the area around the tank receiving enough fresh air, pH should hardly be an issue, so the need for even that type of control is made redundant.

What is seems you really are after is Alk and Ca control, and as previously mentioned, none of the hobby grade computers allows for that....

To sort out that problem, dosing pumps on timers will suffice, or a calcium reactor. Dosing pumps will be cheaper than a calcium reactor to set up, but in the long run will pay for itself.
However, considering the cost of bulk chemicals, it probably is cheaper to do the dosing pump thing, even on a pico sized tank like yours.

It really is a matter of determining Alk and Ca consumption rate and setting the dosing pumps to replenish.

To go and fork out a small fortune for a computer to manage all of this is really a bit of an overspend in my humble opinion.

@scubaninja , I checked the Arduino website, but cannot make head or tails of whats going on there, I only see lots of different pc board thingies for sale

Tank maintenance nanny!
4cd15e9a49bab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom