Apollo's Nano chronicles

His alive!!!!!!!!!!:yeahdude:

Hey bud....long time.

Tank is looking much better. Glad you got that algae under control

Hey Lanzo,

Thanks for the comments bud.

Yeah, it has been a long time since we last spoke ..... sorry , been very scarce lately:dft001:

Hi to all,

It's been a while since I last posted, so I thought I'd provide a quick update:

Nano's been running for 2 years now and most of the algae issues have been sorted.
Still battling a bit with cladophoropsis on some of the rocks.

The tank is now at capacity and I will start fragging some corals and move this to my frag tank shortly. :)

07122010081.jpg

07122010084.jpg

07122010087.jpg

Apollo's Nano - very nice

Hi Gunter

I have looked through this thread, well done man, that looked awesome...

Like I said, the weekend to Louis...

I am keen to start with the cleaning crew now...

Like maybe a cleaner shrimp and a herit crab and a slug

what is your recommendations?

Hi Gunter

I have looked through this thread, well done man, that looked awesome...

Like I said, the weekend to Louis...

I am keen to start with the cleaning crew now...

Like maybe a cleaner shrimp and a herit crab and a slug

what is your recommendations?

Hi Henk,

Thanks for the comments.
If your tank has completed its cycle and if your water parameters are stable I would look at adding a few snails and perhaps a shrimp.

IMO Hermits can become very destructive , especially if you are looking at keeping a reef garden , so you need to weigh up the odds before deciding

Be careful of slugs, unless you can positively identify them as benign to your reef environment. Chosen correctly , they can be very useful . I would not purchase slugs outright at present, so rather look at their shelled cousins

Shrimps are a nice addition to the reef environment and here you really are spoilt for choice. Try to think broader than just cleaner / fireshrimp. Have a look at other specimens such as sexy shrimp ( Thor amboinensis) , Coral banded shrimp ( Stenopus hispidus).

:)

Thanks man

- are they all cleaners - the shrimps you mentioned...

I should be nice to look at and beneficial i think...

but being the first cleaner to be added... which one would you start with...

are all these shrimps widely availble...?

Last edited:
Thanks man

- are they all cleaners - the shrimps you mentioned...

I should be nice to look at and beneficial i think...

but being the first cleaner to be added... which one would you start with...

are all these shrimps widely availble...?

Yes, they all perform a scavenging/cleaning function.
As with any livestock that you are considering adding to your tank,
make sure you read up on the critters and decide for yourself wheter:

1) Your tank can support this lifeform ( minimum water volume , flow, water chemistry etc. )
2) You are able to provide for the animals specific feeding habits/ special needs

The shrimps I mentioned in my previous post are all readily available , except for the Sexy shrimp which tends to be rather scarce. ( At least in Gauteng)

The choice is really yours as to which shrimp you wish to put in first, but I'd probably go for a standard cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) to start off with.

:)

Did the Mexican Turbo snails survived after the cleaned out the red algae or do they only eat that?

Len,

The Turbo's survived very well , even after all the red woolly stuff was gone. They graze on various types of algea, but seem to have a particular appetite for the red hairy types of algae.;)

Back
Top Bottom