Another new member

Wow, that look ages... I've finally started purchasing equipment.

IMG_0567.jpg

Welcome,

Skimmer, I have one, and I do like it, even if the new cone skimmers are the ones in fashion.

Salt choice, again not a lot of reefers like them. But I use it now for over a year. In the beginning it did not really make 1.025 on the mix as suggested, always too low. Now I found it gives consistent 1.025.

I see you bought an overflow box. Well it is still early days and I would suggest to rather have the tank drilled and an overflow box fitted. Although the overflow boxes like that do work, they are not 100% fail safe. But still your choice.

And enjoy the ride.

Thanks for all the kind welcomes.

@RiaanP - Good to hear and bad i guess. I got the overflow because i was too nervous to get the tank drilled. I guess now i will be nervous that the thing blocks up and the tank overfills.

David - Yes, i did meet on you Monday, took your business card too; but i am not Shawn. You have a great selection of fish, i will be back when the tank is ready.

Does anyone know where i can get a glass cutting tool in Cape Town?

Last edited by a moderator:
@RiaanP - Good to hear and bad i guess. I got the overflow because i was too nervous to get the tank drilled. I guess now i will be nervous that the thing blocks up and the tank overfills.
The advantage is that the sides of the overflow box is clear and you can see easily if air is entering the system. And the width wide enough to prevent too strong water flow (obviously depending on return pump rating) to be able to pull to much bubbles into overflow section.

You just ave to keep an eye on it. If you got an old style powerhead with venturi inlet, connect with black 6mm line (micro irrigation) the hole on top to the pump. It should automatically remove any bubbles. Do not use clear line, as light penetration will cause algae to grow inside the line, blocking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a glass cutter at Mica, was cheap at around R40.

Any suggestions on where to get pipes and connectors for the pluming? The irrigation place i went to during lunch was closed, they open again Thursday due to all the holidays.

ummmm... Lee that cuts straight edges - you want a glass drill bit. I said to you uncle yesterday you guys are rushing into this....

oh right - i was thinking it to cut the hole in the tank for the downpipe to the sump :D

:biggrin:

Henk, what substrate do you recommend for the DSB?

i forgot to add - for the plumbing fixtures - what do you need? I might have some pieces here i can give to M

I was thinking of checking out builders tomorrow... i just need a section for the overflow into the sump.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom