Urgent help needed Anenome problem

Reaction score
Hi,I unfortunately only discovered this great forum after buying an Anenome and now know it was done premature.Tamk is 3 months old and got the Anemome 3 weeks ago.Has been looking good up until 2 days ago when it looks like it has started losing its footing and is gradually falling over.Fed it 4 days ago and ate well.Attached is a photo taken this morning.Please advise if there is a problem.

20150707_065859.jpg

Give it to a member of the forum that lives near by you. The odds are not in your favor.
Sorry bud.

OK. Maybe I did jump to conclusions. But the first thing that struck me was how dark the tank was. But looking at it again, are the lights off?

What lights do you have?
Water parameters?

Yip more info here is required from the questions asked. BTW I had a bubble tip in my little 130 tank before I knew any better and tank was only 3 months old.. The guy did very well in there. Not so sure on this whole 9 month rule thing. But ya what's the deal on the parameters on your system..?

the 9 months thing, or 8 months thing originally. It comes from your anemone being able to uptake beneficial bacteria it lost. Similar corals of the same region have the same zooxanthallae in them and can release excess of that. That is mushrooms, zoa ricordia, all anemone like animals. So to have some excess zooxanthallae drifting around you need these other corals to be matures, happy and in a state to have too much in them so that they are actually releasing some. the timescale normally to get a tank to matured state is around 8 months.

You can have a anemone in a young tank, provided it is healthy and did not bleached at all. But it is not advised.

Best is, you need to learn to be able to keep your tank stable and thriving. So rather take that 8 or 9 months to learn how to do that.

Last edited:
Tank is 100 gallon. Lighting is a Zetlight 6600 LED system.Lights set for 8 hours per day.Light was off at time of photo.Water parameters as follows pH 7.9, Nitrates 10 ppm, Ammonia 0, Salinity 1.026, Temp = 25.9, KH = 12.9, Alkalinity 4.6, Ca= 460, Mg = 1350. Light system is 3 months old. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry, it is a Majestic Anenome.If the best solution is to pass it onto a member with a suitable tank then will do so,just don't want the guy to die or suffer.Clowns may stage a revolt.I am in Boskruin, Johannesburg.

Sorry, it is a Majestic Anenome.If the best solution is to pass it onto a member with a suitable tank then will do so,just don't want the guy to die or suffer.Clowns may stage a revolt.I am in Boskruin, Johannesburg.

@carlrix That is your decision to make.... If it was me... IMO.. I would leave it be. Just keep an eye on that Nitrates. Also I will slowly start to drop that KH a little....

You have a great Light there and the Nennie is not bleached at all. Maybe its looking for a new spot. Mine looses it footing Normally when I Worked on the tank. The last time one of them did it was when I moved all my live stock to holding tanks. It was moving about loose for almost two weeks but today is back to its normal self.

Goodluck

Last edited by a moderator:
Tank is 100 gallon. Lighting is a Zetlight 6600 LED system.Lights set for 8 hours per day.Light was off at time of photo.Water parameters as follows pH 7.9, Nitrates 10 ppm, Ammonia 0, Salinity 1.026, Temp = 25.9, KH = 12.9, Alkalinity 4.6, Ca= 460, Mg = 1350. Light system is 3 months old. Thanks.

While I am not a nennie or lighting expert, I do believe that you should be able to keep it if you maintain these parameters. You did choose a more demanding nennie in terms of care and lighting requirements. Try to keep your nitrate levels as low as possible and make sure that all powerheads are adequately covered as possible in case it decides to walk around the tank. From what I have read on them, they are prone to taking lots of walks :p

I would suggest researching as much as you can in regards to the required care for it. I am sure that you will be able to keep it successfully if you understand the care requirements going forward. :)

How does it look when the lights are on?

Thanks for the advice. The anenome looks fine when the lights are on except for the fact that it looks as if it is losing its grip on the rock. Will give it a couple of days. Is there any merit in physically moving it to a flatter section of rock?

I moved my nennie towards the bottom of the tank and in the corner where there is alot less water movement.
And it's happy and has never moved in 6months.
Green bubble tip about the size of a side plate

The parameters are fine, but you need stability. i.e you need to maintain as close to those values as possible for a length of time, preferably forever with the advent of dosers and ca reactors etc.
You need to develop your own methods in order to achieve that, what works for you. Again, refrence in new beginner threads and articles about the 8-9 month time period as that is about the time it takes to develop your methods

Thanks for the advice. The anenome looks fine when the lights are on except for the fact that it looks as if it is losing its grip on the rock. Will give it a couple of days. Is there any merit in physically moving it to a flatter section of rock?

It is probably getting ready to take a walk by loosening its foot. :)
Rather not try to move it (as you can hurt it) but keep a close eye as to when it detaches as you don't want it going into the overflow/powerheads etc where it can get chopped into little bits. That will cause chaos in your tank.

If it does come loose, move it to a higher point in your tank as they do like to be quite high up. My experience with my bubbletip nennies is that they like to be in a crevice as opposed to flat, open space. This may be true for the magnifica as well but you may want to double check that as I don't have any experience with this species? :blush:

Just an update.Thanks for all the advice and offers to nennie-sit from all.Looks as if the nennie is simply on the move and is is now fully attached to a vertical rock surface in the tank..A little odd but as long as it is happy.

Back
Top Bottom