Alternative techniques 1: Exposure of corals in a reef tank

Possibly your exposures are causing minor bleaching events.

The simplified version of how I understood one type of bleaching was that if a coral got more light than it was used to, the zooxanthelea would produce too much O2 causing a potential burning of coral tissue. It would then expel zooxanthelae in order to protect itself.

A possible parallel might be found with Zeo's Spur2 and Pocci-stilo-glo which for reasons possibly only known to the Zeo guys also causes the expulsion of Zooxanthelae.

When somebody inquired of the Zeo forum as to whether this "unnatural" forcing out of zooxanthelae wasn't unhealthy for the corals, I think it was Meso who explained that the periodic reduction in Zoox lead to older cells being expelled and new more efficient cells being produced thus allowing for a smaller more effective population to do the job of Photosynthesis.

This population also requires less input to serve and maintain leaving more for growth reproduction colour production etc.

Obviously the fewer Zoos allows any colour to be seen better allowing colours to 'pop'.

Thinking about it, neap low tides occur every 2 weeks (I think) which is about how often one is supposed to add Spur2.

Interesting coincidence? Maybe?

Maybe a similar thing is happening with your corals under a moderate(and actually similar to natural) stressor, leading to healthier, brighter corals, even under your moderate light conditions.

I hope that this makes sense, I think it ties in with what you've been saying.

Once again thanks for this interesting and more challenging thread, and your observations.

Last edited:
its threads like these that help hobbiests to get a better understanding of the actual way corals live and thrive.keep it rolling guys,im watching carefully :)

I hope that this makes sense, I think it ties in with what you've been saying

More than ties in with what I am saying..........

Had quite a rant about the whole spur2 thing some time ago, with regards to the enforced expelling of zooxanthellae by our addition of a substance into the water.....

Interesting the dosing of spur 2 every two weeks.......... Does tie in with tidal exposure........hmmmm maybe coincedence...............
Maybe do bi monthly water changes.............
Or more frequent (daily) water changes ..... smaller volume of course......
and bi monthly larger water changes.....

Timers......

I thought you'd only read this in the middle of the night. What do you do? Or are you just an insomniac. An animated intelligent discussion with Gixxer at two in the morning, crazy man. You'd get nothing more than an unintelligable grunt from me.

Your search for your "Zerovit" system ties in with mine, as I too can not justify the expense (especially in a very big tank) of running Zeo. I did however find its ideas very interesting WTO carbon additions, extra low nutrient levels, and bacterial feeding, and these wierd zooxanthelae expulsion devices.

I chose to try the Vodka story to part-recreate the nutrient reduction and bacterial feeding of corals.

This new observation very possibly adds a new and quite revolutionary new "spoke to the wheel" and again in a more natural way replaces one of the pillars, if you like of Zeovit.

I'm all excited now and plan a system that will pump half the water out of the tank at set intervals to try to reproduce this mucus expulsion effect. It will (at this stage) be completely separate from water changes, to try to implement the idea.

Can't wait to try it.

I'm all excited now and plan a system that will pump half the water out of the tank at set intervals to try to reproduce this mucus expulsion effect. It will (at this stage) be completely separate from water changes, to try to implement the idea.

Can't wait to try it.
thats intresting bob.how many litres are we talking here?

I thought you'd only read this in the middle of the night. What do you do? Or are you just an insomniac. An animated intelligent discussion with Gixxer at two in the morning, crazy man. You'd get nothing more than an unintelligable grunt from me.
:lol::whistling:

I'm all excited now and plan a system that will pump half the water out of the tank at set intervals to try to reproduce this mucus expulsion effect.
Should I e mail you a tidal table......... ?
But then we are talking computer controlled cycles, once again cost not justified......
W.r.t. exposure, I would not go for more than twice monthly exposure......
Caution is the word here......

It will (at this stage) be completely separate from water changes, to try to implement the idea.[/QUOTE]

Have thought about this, BUT prefer to couple exposure with water changes....... Whilst diving, I could clearly see the tidal rush of new, different quality water arriving with the incoming tide. Colder, different salinity, filled with plankton (not that I could see them, but know they were there)........

Ya I could pump out half the water, then pump back part of it as new water.

Makaeel, the new systems tank will hold about 4000l so 2000l pumped out and back in again after exposure. I will start off with short exposures and build the time up if all goes well.

Ivan I will be putting in the new Aquamedic AT Controller (same as the Aquatronica in funtion) so anything goes from a control point of veiw. However I wouldn't leave exposures up to a computer, even after I've done it a hundred times, I want to be there to make sure the return pump comes on.

:lol: was it that late or early?

Bob, all I can say is the vodka has really gone a long way to lowering nutrients in my tank and at the same time feeding my sps corals. Thank you for your help on getting me started. I would however like to jump onto the zeo system (without the zeolites) and begin using their basic 4 products (start, bak, food,....can't remember the last one's name) but only gonna venture down this road once I have a quite a few more pieces of sps. For now i'm willing to try alternative techniques...

Ivan been thinking about this thread and considering giving the whole exposure thing a try. Obviously will build up the time that the corals are exposed for from say 10 mins up to a max of 1 hr per (twice a month) over say the next few weeks. I had pieces of sps out of the water for up to 15 mins already but then again these were take out of the tank for reglueing purposes so were not exposed to the intense lighting. I'm only doing small water changes at the moment purely for Trace Element renewal (something like 15lt a week on a 300lt system) so was thinking of removing say 60lt from the display (to lower the water level sufficiently), take 15lt from this 60lt out and mix in the fresh 15lt with the remaining 45lt then siphon the whole lot back into the tank again. Probably looking at 10mins or so for that whole process. Can then slowly extend this period by prolonging the addition of the 60lt back into the tank.

One thing to think about tho is that i'm currently adding carbon already. By exposing the corals even more carbon will be present in the water column and available for bacteria growth so this could end up being a potential disaster.....

Naa, your skimmer will make short work of a bacterial bloom, if it ever happened.

Adding bac, or prodibo's version is a good idea to stop a mono culture from developing, Start is just their carbon source (ascetic acid), food and coral vitalizer I'm sure you will get from a broad Amino acid and other coral vitamin solution, but I don't know how neccessary it is, especially if you feed a lot generally.

Got off topic sorry, Cheers.

Awesome thread Ivan :thumbup:

Need to go over this and digest it again..

An important thing to note and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but when exposing the coral it's critical to watch for wind chill. A lot of times the ambient temp. in winter out of the water is quite a lot cooler then the tank temps and with a breeze or fan blowing can be quite significant. SPS don't like a sudden swing to cooler temps.

food and coral vitalizer I'm sure you will get from a broad Amino acid and other coral vitamin solution, but I don't know how neccessary it is, especially if you feed a lot generally.
bob can you please name some of the coral vitamin food?and when you say if "if you feed alot generally" ,what food you talking about?stuff like frozen food etc...
thanks

An important thing to note and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but when exposing the coral it's critical to watch for wind chill. A lot of times the ambient temp. in winter out of the water is quite a lot cooler then the tank temps and with a breeze or fan blowing can be quite significant. SPS don't like a sudden swing to cooler temps.

I leave my halides running whilst the corals are exposed, sometimes I just have the t5's running. all depends on what time of the day I do it... Would definitely not expose my corals in winter without lights running.
Interesting thing, in nature, I noticed that there is always more wind on full and dark moon than on any other days....... full and dark moon = lowest tides, so there is wind chill over the corals, but then again they are in air temperatures way into the thirties in their natural habitat. The wind chill does concern me however, so I don't have any fans running in my canopy whilst doing water changes.

I have not come across any literature out there w.r.t. max outside temp and affect on tidal exposed corals, other than causing bleaching (once again beware guys). Or anything w.r.t. wind chill and its affects on mucus production, but would assume both increased air temp and windchill would increase mucus production.

Dangerous aspects to experiment with at this stage......

Like I said mekaeel, dangerous params to start playing with...
I do not have my canopy fans running whilst exposing corals, but i do have a temp sensor in there when I do it.... never let it go above 32 degrees in there...

Anything above that i would be concerned about bleaching, rtn etc..... thats based on fear, not fact.....

Some pics to show just how efficient coral mucus is as trapping detritus:

Taken shortly after exposure to air, note the clear bubbly consistancy:

IMG_0007-2.jpg

Shortly after exposure, the clear gel looses most of the bubbles as it traps detritus and particles:

IMG_0006-2.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got some reaction from photobucket

Last edited:
Finally got some action out of photobucket.....
Just to show how efficient acropora mucus can be at trapping potentia nutrients and srve as a nutrient transport (export?) mechanism:

As the mucus becomes heavy with detritus, it breaks away from the coral and pics up more material from the water column:

IMG_0009-3.jpg

A few minutes later, and note the almost saturated mucus floc:

IMG_0010-1.jpg

And this is what I believe is going to the skimmer, and what misses the skimmer will go to the dsb as detritivore and bacterial food:

IMG_0011-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom