Algae Scrubber

I am having a problem where my red turf algae is getting very tough to actually harvest. It is so thick and strong, I can only scape off about 50% of it. Any suggestions on how to get it all off, without destroying the actual plastic mesh ?

Hmm... what about a shaver (like the one you use to shave your legs or face)... maybe that would prevent it from cutting into the mesh?

Hmm... what about a shaver (like the one you use to shave your legs or face)... maybe that would prevent it from cutting into the mesh?

Cool idea :)

So Warr7207, are your legs nice and smoothe today?
How thick is the growth of red algae in mm? Don't you find that algae that is exposed to light on the surface is green?

So Warr7207, are your legs nice and smoothe today?
How thick is the growth of red algae in mm? Don't you find that algae that is exposed to light on the surface is green?

:biglaugh: Nice one.

I have one small section that is growing green turf, but the rest is red and it strong stuff.

It also has a weird "water holding" property.

When I harvest, I think the screen is nice and clean and majority of the algae is gone. Soon as I re-install, the algae in-between the mesh "puffs" up and looks like I have hardly harvested, weird stuff.

I will harvest tonight and take some pics.

Warr, is there any reason you couldn't use 2 screens, 1 in the scrubber, the other ready to swap over, then leave the "dirty" screen in the sun until the algae dries up and can be removed more easily.

When I harvest, I think the screen is nice and clean and majority of the algae is gone. Soon as I re-install, the algae in-between the mesh "puffs" up and looks like I have hardly harvested, weird stuff.

Have you tried a "power wash" with high-pressure water (like from a forceful outdoor hose)?

Warr, is there any reason you couldn't use 2 screens, 1 in the scrubber, the other ready to swap over, then leave the "dirty" screen in the sun until the algae dries up and can be removed more easily.
That would kill the algae on the screen. You want to leave a layer on the screen after scraping, which will regrow rapidly.

Have you tried a "power wash" with high-pressure water (like from a forceful outdoor hose)?
This would also remove too much of the algae.

Here goes

Scrubber in action, before harvesting

5284a0e090d0cd69.jpg

Screen cleaned and scrubbed as well as I could, without damaging the mesh

5284a0e0e9925111.jpg

Pump back on, and you can see how the algae has inflated. Within a couple of days that screen looks the first pic.

PS: This harvest was 4 days old.

5284a0e0f4fd0563.jpg

Back
Top Bottom