Algae Problem

Hiya all...... I haven't posted here yet - but, Viper - to answer your question. I also have hair algae, AND YES - I am using a BLV DE 150watt Metal Halide.... (Had one 14000k and one 20000k -the 20000k blew.... the hair algae mostly grew where the 14000k was shining)......
BUT, I now have a phosphate reactor, I have shortened my lighting period, have nearly 0 nitrates (VERY close to), have a bristtle-tooth (or pencilled) tang/surgeon (to help with eradication of the hair/macro algae)....... 2 skimmers, and am keeping my hardness quite high (alkalinity/calcium bicarbonate)..... as well as my calcium levels quite high (not sure about my magnesium levels - am not dosing magnesium specifically and don't have a magnesium testing kit either).....
AND am using kalkwasser.......

OK now I'm gonna give up. In my octagon I see bit's of algae eveywhere!!! Every drop of food I have fed has been eaten before I add in more. 1 fish, 2 shrimps and 2 corals. TS1 skimmer has not skimmed much, flow is 2500l in a 150l tank, Rock has been curing in the dark for 9 weeks so I can not see that as the problem. I am at a loss with what to do. PLEASE help me get this sorted because I'm at the end of the road! Pic's to follow.....

I will try some now, think it would be better if I just give the fish to the cats and the corals to the dogs!!!

Algae.jpg

Listen my friend, what in the world are you complaining about? You have no right to complain about those little teeny weeny bits of algae, when you get to this stage (see pics below) then I give you full permission to complain :D

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Hey Viper did that Waver swallow your hair piece? :lol:

is what I got hairy Algae?
No, the golden-brown algae in your photos are diatoms. I take it that your tank is still very new - if that is the case, this is a normal development, and nothing to be stressed about. In fact, if your tank did not have a diatom outbreak I would be more concerned...

The diatoms will grow for a week or two, and will then gradually subside without any "help" from your side.

Do look at restricting the input of organics (nitrate and phosphate), but give even more thought to the restriction of bio-load (in other words, FISH...) during the next few months.

Hey, and relax, if the tank did not have algae, the nutrient levels in the water would probably have been unhealthy for you corals, so don't see all alga growths as being "bad" - in the short to medium term it's quite often "good"...

Hennie

thanks hennie, I'm a bit stressed I have tried my best not to turn this into an algae tank. I have limited everything, I plan 1 more fish in the system Bi-color angel and that's it as far as fish and corals go for 6 months min. I will spend my time trying to get the water par. perfect before i add any more stock...

Hey Sims I think we started our new tanks at about the same time and I think my prob is worse than yours. I migrated from the big tank to the smaller one with the same water, live rock etc. I thought I should miss this algae stage and got the big surprise.
Good luck buddy with all the help we have we sould survive.

have you tried
CaribSea:
Phos-Buster Pro Phosphate Remover [8 oz]

WTCS-00508.jpg
  • A unique patent pending formula that removes dissolved phosphates in minutes instead of days.
  • Safe for all reef tanks, saltwater, and freshwater aquariums of all sorts.
  • Each 8 oz. bottle removes at least 1.5 ppm in up to 250 gallons of water.
  • No more fiddling with filter bags or special reactors; just dose it and forget about your phosphate problem.
  • Phos-Buster Pro may be used regularly as part of a preventative maintenance program.

used a similar product on another tank....will add some if I see alot of growth

Back
Top Bottom