Aiptasia....Berghia Nudis - ASAP

Reaction score
I ahve been contrantly told these are almost impossble to aquire. I believe Mr reefbuilder has not got stock, and egg ribbons or nudis.

transport is irrelevant. IF you have certified Berghia aiptasa eaters that will grow and breed to tacke this problem, you will efforts will be compensated for.......no shit

Raccoon butterflies can be added to a tank to remove aptasia.

Last edited:
Yes, several but i simply do not trust the around my coral, and chasing a fish around it not somthing I wanna do with my approach to reefkeeping.....

The infestation is beyond the point of a fish or genius with some sort of long needle getting to it. I have done my research, my options are
A) get berghias in any ways shape or form
or
B) Completely rip down everything, chlorinate and sodium thiosulphate for several days, then re-cycle. good chane to do modern upgrades that are logical plumbing wise.

the other obvious options have been considered commecial stuf, calcium hydroxide mixed with a bit of gelatin to act as a gel binder, i.e aiptaisa x, joes juice etc.

Calcium or other hydroxide solution mixed into a nice paste.....If you understand the Ph scale in terms of its inverse logarithmic values and what that entails, a saturated solution of hydroxide has a Ph of 12. that sludge you use ideally at the bottom when its settled, beyond hyper saturation, that sludge u leave will cause Ph around that spot to rise to around 10 for a diameter of 12 cm in diameter until goop is removed. Would you treat aiptasia on the shell of a small clam this way without shitting a brick?
. sound safe? remotely but not my option....
why? its cheap and makes the go away.... for a bit

hmmmm, well considering aiptasia requires one single cell to regenerate into a problem again could be hours to days depending on your bacteria/nutrient reactor approaches.
The point of the hydroxide is to burn the shits out of the bugger, when you siphon the sludge like a responsible reef keeper, that base is still there, waiting to release its babies which they do when pissed off in any way.
result, the original problem but with even more of the buggers

The constant poor treatment leads to what I am facing, an infestation embedded,its actually quite amazing.

There is no animal I find better adapted to closed systems.

I shit you not I have seen the anemones survive 5 hours in fresh water.

Does this Aiptaser thing work that tazers them?

Option two is best as it creates a good starting point and a chance to reset everything making results more predictable

Last edited:
Optipn C again.
Aptasia eating file fish ... Heard from Shaun @Achillies two days ago, said his file went through about 200 majano and some aptasia in a week straight out of quarenteen.
Ate them from between the coral not touching the coral.
I

Last edited by a moderator:
@Midnight Reefer I too have Aip's but will be getting a fish from a non sponsor which also takes care of the problem and is not a problem for other fish or corals. It's a scat brackish water fish, it needs to be acclimatized for our marine tanks but once converted it's a lawnmower on steroids. They are known to live in the ocean in the wild. Not very attractive, silver with a couple of black spots but i will let you know once I got it on how effective they are, at the sponsor it is doing what it should plus they are less than R120.

OK, If I need a reef safe filefsih asap, what would be the best option?

I already mentioned the Filefish, I have two in my tank and they sorted out my little issue resulting from second/third....eighth hand rock (Who knows?!)

I however did loose a pretty big Elegance three weeks ago and suspect it to be the largest of the two filefish.

However, since that incident I haven't had any losses and they model citizens. I suspect it was my own fault as I was feeding more Grazer (tang) friendly food and hadn't given much/any Mysis or similar food.

had the filefish...took about two weeks to even notice the aiptasia...then in about two days he demolished it all.....and then i noticed my zoas and palys with similar colours to aiptasia start disappearing or always closed....got rid of the fish ,all zoas and palys doing great again...

@Midnight Reefer.
I have seen the corals you have in your Coral Tank.
The Filefish spoken of above will work perfectly, especially one acclimitized to eating aptasia!
They will eat this first before worrying about other stuff.
Also due to you being able to get in the display tank you will be able to catch him out!
But he will be busy in there for months!
Cool part is he is an interesting fish to have in your display too!
I would recommend for your issue;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom