Adding shells to my fish tank

Reaction score
So I found some rad shells that I really want to add into my fish tank.
I figured it would be a bad idea to just add it straight in so I have put it in hot water for about 15 min and then added it into some vinegar, but it seemed to be eating at the shell.
So now what?
or should it be alright?

IAmAVibe - what would the use of the shells be for?

Just remember that any shells in a tank, are detritus traps, and unless you want to keep some shells there for hermit crabs, you would be better off not having any shells in your tank.

IF you feel you definitely still want to keep shells - just wash it off with some old tank water, or RO water alternatively.....

just wonfdering why you adding shells? can we start there. Is it for the asthetics of them or as potencial homes for hermits (yes hermits weeman NOT snails:)). If so they will just get bigger and bigger and you will ahve two bulldozers knocking your reef over like me :(

and empty shells at the bottom of a tank are terrible detritus traps, stagnant water in them and thats amonia heaven. Just a thought.

Oh i know this by taking out the foul smelling ones I HAD:)

just wonfdering why you adding shells? can we start there. Is it for the asthetics of them or as potencial homes for hermits (yes hermits weeman NOT snails:)). If so they will just get bigger and bigger and you will ahve two bulldozers knocking your reef over like me :(

and empty shells at the bottom of a tank are terrible detritus traps, stagnant water in them and thats amonia heaven. Just a thought.

Oh i know this by taking out the foul smelling ones I HAD:)

Watch it you, gonna have to start playing again to keep you in line;)

Be very careful of adding anything in your tank, you may be importing foreign pathogens from local sea life that the inhabitants can't cope with, boil in R/O if you must add them.

thanks for making this thread had like 2 shells for my hermits but took them out last night don't want to muck around with amonia levels
:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom