Acrylic Tank

Hails

Sponsor
Reaction score
A few pics of the current project @Nemos Janitor ;)

A 600mm x 600mm x 600mm cube

IMG_20131027_121900%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_20131027_121914%255B1%255D.jpg

IMG_20131027_121923%255B1%255D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on which glass, not necessarily cheaper, but stronger, lighter and scratches can be buffed out :thumbup:

Last edited:
A few pics of the current project @Nemos Janitor
See NJ is a project manager. :biggrin:
Stands one side and watch others do the job.

And that is not the way to wear a mask.... :blush:

Anyway, seems you had fun.

Very cool @Hails, @Nemos Janitor, & @butcherman!!!
Keith, I see you finally getting around to building that Acrylic tank you've been planning for a LOOONG time.

You guys are probably the first ones to attempt to build an acrylic tank in south africa of that size... Well done, & will be keeping an eye out for this one!

Just a question. What did you use to bond the edges?

Just to find out, is acrylic cheaper or more expensive than glass?

Material cost for a 600 cube will cost about R2600.00 made out of 12mm cast acrylic.

the 1200 x 1000 x 1000 will cost about R15000.00 made out of 25mm cast acrylic

Just a question. What did you use to bond the edges?

Thanks for the kind words bud. We are using Acrifix 2R0190

@Nemos Janitor will be building a bigger one, this was a practice run :blush:

Yes we are building two tanks 600 x 600 x 600 out of 12mm Plexiglass and one tank 1200 x 1000 x 1000 out of 25mm Plexiglass. The plexiglass i am using has a 30 year guarantee not to yellow.

So comparable to doing the same size glass box. Which one is easier to do?

The acrylic is way easier, just the tricks need to be learn with applying the glue. lining the panes up correctly, and then sanding and buffing the joints (that is the hardest part or most elbow grease).

Yes Riaan as Steven says. The trick is to prep the panels properly. Once you have the bonding technique it takes about 45 minutes to bond a tank. Three 15 minutes sessions, front panel--back panel--base. It takes about one hour curing time between sessions.

Last edited:
Yes Paul most of them. Just finalising my VAT return then i will get onto the polishing. Will take pics of the finished product.

Last edited:
@Nemos Janitor what made you decide to build an acrylic tank? It seems that the additional cost outweighs the slim advantages that acrylic has over glass. Or just for sh*%'s and giggles lol! :)

Back
Top Bottom