A New Start

uploadfromtaptalk1460212546853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so it has now been 10 days into the cycle, and have had to tell myself to be patient at least 10 times. but everything seems to be going well, one question what kind of evaporation should i be seeing? i have read anything from 1 litres to 3 litres per day, all in all i have a 120l tank im sitting in the region on 1.24 litres of evaporation per day is this normal?

Sounds ok. It's dependant on the weather and Temps on the day etc... It varies a lot.

I've used special blend to start my tank, and I think it works great. Are you using anything?

okay thanks, thats good to hear, getting my water tested at my LFS on the 7th which seems like an eternity away, but from what i have read that should be the times that things start to balance out.

hey guys another question i have been reading a lot on here about CUC any idea on what a good ratio would be for my tank? how many Shrimp,snails and crabs. i want to have a starfish in the future.

Last edited:
yes i do have some live rock which i scattered through the Aquascape to hope it will help the spread.

thanks so any recommendations on CUC any idea on what a good ratio would be for my tank? how many Shrimp,snails and crabs. i want to have a starfish in the future.

Rather than matching CUC to tank volume I prefer to match to available sustainence and needs.

Keep CUC members low initially and slowly ramp up to desired levels with the availability of food sources and algae. I have never liked the generalized rule of X snails per gallon/liter.

As for variety it all depends on what u want and how they will play together. Some people love hermits while others prefer more snails as hermits may get homicidal. What variety/numbers were u considering?

Lastly, starfish are sensitive creatures ime and often don't fare well, especially in nanos like our tanks. Not saying it's impossible to keep one alive but it is difficult. If you're planning on a sand sifting star, keep in mind the available 'food' in your substrate. Small tanks don't always have enough sustainable life in the sand bed to keep a sifter alive I. The long term.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Was thinking 2 nassarui snails, hopefully 2 porcelain grabs or two electric hermits,and 1 shrimp not sure which type

I agree on the Nassarius snails to start with. Hermit crabs are OK but snails tend to disappear with these guys around (after the shells). Shrimps are nice scavengers also. Porcelain crabs I would suggest one but would rather wait till you have settled a bit in this hobby. I would wait on the star fish as well until you maybe get a bigger setup or you can get a red/blue linkia star fish and supplement feed them.

Back
Top Bottom