4 Sale forum

Reaction score
Hi, thanks Viper for the explaining why I could not view the 4 sales forum.

But I do have a problem with this line.

In order to help protect our members from fraud, sellers and buyers need to have been a member for 30 days and have made 20 posts before they can advertise items for sale or make offers to purchase items. Members who "spam" their way to 20 posts in order to circumvent this restriction will have their posts deleted and their accounts suspended for a period of 7 days. Please note that it can take up to two hours for the software to recognise that you have achieved 20 posts.

Think of it, as a new reefer, how much times can you just say "Hi I am new here?" before you start buying things. As a new reefer, how can you comment on the new tunez, or C2C system that someone installed, when you still stuggelling to set up your own system?

Is that not the first thing you want to do, build up your system, and get hardware/livestock at good prices?

Could you also please quantify as to what you mean by fraud prevention? How does this help with fraud prevention? Do you guys have solid examples as to where someone has performed fraud cause they had less than 20 post or they where less than 30 days active in the forum?

Thanks
Mykey

I am also wondering about the settings here.

I have been surfing the for sale forums since the first day I joined and now I can't seem to access them.

I agree with MyKey - Budgeting is the place to start for me when it comes to a hobby and the forsale forums are a great tool and 85% of the reason I view these forums . . .

Our mission at MASA is the exchange of hobby information, not commerce, and the selling and trading forums are a perk for those members who support MASA. Additionally, requiring a minimum number of posts reduces the number of quick-sale scam artists and commercial-only entities who are only interested in making a quick buck.

If you have a look at other international forums for example:

Reef Central - 50 posts and 90 days membership
Ultimate Reef - 50 posts and 30 days
Zeovit - 20 posts

Do you guys have solid examples as to where someone has performed fraud cause they had less than 20 post or they where less than 30 days active in the forum?
No, but it is just a matter of time before it does happen, we are doing what we believe is in the best interests of our members and to do the bare minimum to try and afford them some form of protection.

We fully agree with your thoughts above, but please understand we also get plenty spammers, now spammers dont have the time or inclination to make the 20 odd posts before advertising their goods. This has been been implemented to protect our members and is not unique to MASA, alot of the other boards have a 50 post count.
The fraud happens when a person signs up, advertises his goods gets the money from our members and dissapears again. This has been set up to prevent this.

At the same time, a person should ask as many questions as possible regarding various aspects of reefkeeping before venturing out into this hobby. This will help them buy the correct hardware and livestock before setting up a system and prevent the amount of livestock they are loosing/lost.Should a person be experienced in the hobby and is new to the forum,they should still ask as many questions,pass compliments etc.. before going into the buying and selling threads. Surely this will boost the post count? IMO :)

Thanks guys and I fully agree - thank you for the protection.

I understand that posting in the for sale forum requires protection but what about viewing - would viewing these forums not be okay?

I agree Mek - but take me for example - I've had reefs before and I don't know as much as I should but I've done lotsa research and have experience to help - at least some newbies to the hobby - but I do understand that it must be difficult to have one set of rules that protect everyone and at the same time allow everyone the freedoms that they might deserve - so thanks again and I'll be patient. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand that posting in the for sale forum requires protection but what about viewing - would viewing these forums not be okay?

no harm in looking, think of it as window shopping, but with the added protection of knowing that whoever you send your money or goods to, will respond, rather than make off.

I actually dont know if we can split it, will ask Viper, no problem with viewing we want to restrict the posting at the end of the day.

What I'm saying is that I have been viewing the for sale Forums ( We been having it hahahah) - I think I've even posted in them and now . . . we've not been having it.

Have these for sale policies been changd here lately.

The other SA forum lets me view but not start new treads I think - which I understand

There will be ways to circumvent the rules, but if you then send someone you don't know either goods or cash then that is your gamble.
hell havent i learnt that! :(

BUT, i found masa by googling marine tanks for sale...the first section i was in was the sales. its why i was here, simple.

ok so i stayed for a post and a pic or two, but surely people realise that you enter a finacial transaction on your own and the risks are yours alone?

Hi Christiaan,

This rule was implemeted yesteday, as I put up a post to buy some snails from Ivan.. but guess that deal is gonna fall though cause "hey I don't know enought about this hobby to buy anything yet".

Guys, don't get me wrong, I understand why you have implemented this, but from a personal perspective, I do still have an issue

You basically stating that cause I have not enought posts, I won't know what equipment to buy?

Okay should I just go to every ones post and say "uhhh" "ahhh" cause then that will be an abuse of the system

I'm also staying for the pics and all the nice people - especially your photos crispin - it kept my intrest in the hobby up ass well

This rule was implemeted yesteday, as I put up a post to buy some snails from Ivan.. but guess that deal is gonna fall though cause "hey I don't know enought about this hobby to buy anything yet".
You can still PM Ivan can't you ???

You basically stating that cause I have not enought posts, I won't know what equipment to buy?
Nope, not saying that at all.
Okay should I just go to every ones post and say "uhhh" "ahhh" cause then that will be an abuse of the system
From the Rules...

Members who "spam" their way to 20 posts in order to circumvent this restriction will have their posts deleted and their accounts suspended for a period of 7 days.

chripin,

I agree with you, So basiclly, with this in place you stating that you cannot be "conned" if you more in this hobby.

I am sure experience reefers, still buys crap sometimes.. I do agree tha one should research before you buy.. But then again I still believe that its up to the buyer to give his cash.... if he is just giving it to anyone then good for him.. as he is an idiot then

Hi Viper

You can still PM Ivan can't you ???

Yes I can, but I was trying to organise with the other guys down here in JHB that all our packages gets sent together, to save on shipping cost, but guess I can't do that.

PS: So when does ones Post increase? I just posted about thrice on this topic and I am still sitting at 11.

Guys... really don't get me wrong here... I am just a bit pissed off and ranting about

Ok, I realise now why you are so pissed off, because you were in the middle of completing a deal, you should have said so in the first place, I will allow you access to the sale forum again until the end of the week so you may complete your transaction. Are you happy with that?

In the meantime start a thread on your tank and show us some pics to up your post count.:)

Back
Top Bottom