1200mm Surf Tank

And a DIY wavebox, by the same guy

YouTube - DIY Wavebox / Wavemaker

"My DIY Wavebox using some acrylic pieces to make the box and a Tunze 6000 stream. I also made my own wave controller to create an adjustable pulse. The circuit is based on the 555 timer IC that tak... "

scoob i hope you happy now you really edging me towoard a rebuild!!
I'm glad to help with the motivation and with your skills it should be nothin less than perfect!!
Take a cup or glass, get some water in it and throw the water at a glass pane, from a distance of about 2 cm. It go's thwack then trickle.

Thats why im curious as to how high your wave is going to be above the C2C.
1cm of water is different to 4cm of water.
Wrote this reply from my phone last night and it didnt bloody post so i really didnt want to write it again:(

The ''standard wave'' for my size tank is 35mm but i'm sure with the rocks etc it will not quite be that, but we can use that for the purposes of the idea. If you really bomb the water against the glass then it will go thwack, but what would mainly push the wave over the overflow is the return pump. Its a 2500lph pump so that spread across 1200mm wont be very fast so i doubt the wave will really be pushed hard into the back pane. But when i fill it up to check for leaks etc i will see, and when you're wrong you'll owe me a drink:p

Ok some more pics.

Put a pine base in for the sump tank, i still have to coat it to stop water getting in but for now it looks lekker:p
july09-0008.jpg

ok to try and explain my overflow here is my tank connecter attached to a piece of glass. The hole in the piece of glass is a 32mm hole, and the head of the tank connecter was ground down to fit into a 40mm hole. So what happens is that the head fits nice and snug in the hole in the tank and if you look from the top of the tank there is only a 1mm lip that sticks out from the glass inside the overflow which is perfect as if it stuck out i would stop the flow a bit in the overflow. I then glue the piece of glass to the back of the tank and this setup means its easy to remove the parts without having to go into the overflow :)
july09-0002.jpg

july09-0009.jpg

july09-0010.jpg

july09-0011.jpg

Was sorting out my return placement aswell as the sump tank is going to be my old 1.2m sump plus a few modifications and it was a bit of a brainstorming session as i was trying to figure out the best placement for this particular tank but the sump (already having been designed and built for the other tank) kind of made it a bit easier :)
The return will almost be central which is nice as it spreads the flow a bit
july09-0013.jpg

Cool idea on the overflow pipe Stew, just don't forget your "back siphon hole" in the return line seeing that it's a bit below the overflow line.

Don't do half a job - I wanna see black silicon on the sump as well... :p

wicked stu. looking forward to seeing the tank up and running!

Cool idea on the overflow pipe Stew, just don't forget your "back siphon hole" in the return line seeing that it's a bit below the overflow line.

Don't do half a job - I wanna see black silicon on the sump as well... :p
thanks tjoma but half job? haha the sump is the original one from the 2m so its got clear silicon and a blue backround :p the DT has black silicon and a black backround, i wonder which one i'd rather look at :p Will not forget the siphon hole;) just want to see where the water line sits when the wave is on to drill the hole so i'll be waiting for when the tank gets wet:1:
wicked stu. looking forward to seeing the tank up and running!
thanks wilson

You mention that your tank connector is connected to a piece of glass, then you also said that you are gonna glue this piece of glass to the back of the tank...My question is what glue are you gonna use?

silicon. i say glue loosely. the tank connector has a ring of rubber so that when you screw the nut on tight its water tight. so only the glass with be glued with silicon
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay cool so you using silicon to glue the piece of glass to the back of the tank...

Thank you...

looking good tjap

try and get a non return valve for your return pipe...see they are selling for about +-R180

what type of piping and fittings are you using?
Does anyone know where to get it from in JHB?

Hi Scuba, why don't you want the non-return valve?
Is this the valve I heard about that has a spring in it that rusts after a while and stops working properly?
Also, how do you ensure that the water levels don't fluctuate so as to leave the siphon hole bare and spraying water everywhere, whilst also ensuring that the hole is not so deep as to flood the tank before it stops?

It'll be in the center of the tank. Center is fairly level, wave and all.

Is this the valve I heard about that has a spring in it that rusts after a while and stops working properly?
Also, how do you ensure that the water levels don't fluctuate so as to leave the siphon hole bare and spraying water everywhere, whilst also ensuring that the hole is not so deep as to flood the tank before it stops?

dont think its the one with the spring

:biggrin:you caught me:p, nice idea:thumbup:
:nono: :razz:
what type of piping and fittings are you using?
Does anyone know where to get it from in JHB?
just normal blue piping for the overflow, dont know the actual name for the black piping but its nicer to hide in a tank :)
I dont want to use a non return valve cause sometimes they fail and i would have to go out and pay for it:p Would rather not even waste my time cause i could do something that will take two seconds instead :p I will only drill the hole once i have seen the wave in the tank with all my rocks in etc and i will try place the pipe at a node (level that stays the same) in the wave
It'll be in the center of the tank. Center is fairly level, wave and all.
Yup thats true, but the return will be slightly off centre so i'll just have to see what i can organise

Back
Top Bottom