Octopus tank equipment list

Reaction score
As you all know i hope to get an octopus at some point.

So i have been reading and researching all about them and the right water levels i need for them (i.e ph e.g). So now i was hoping to make a final shopping list for it.

So you guys are the pros, so please give me the names of the various brands and levels of equipment that i will need for a oct. Also don't worry im not getting a octopus strait away my plans are to first buying snowflake moray eel, a clown trigger and a picaso trigger in the tank until the oct is on its way.

Some things i know that can help you choose the exact equipment (if you can please include the rough price.

Aquarium sand, not crush coral
No under gravel filter
Big ass filter (im hoping a sump)
Fairly decant skimmer
No chiller for the specie im hoping to get
No special light is needed but im hoping for just something to simply light up the tank

I want a tank that has good and reliable equipment but well please not prices that are over the top.

Stuff like test kits etc im sure ocean will help me with so no need for stuff like that (not meaning that it is an unimportant aspect of SW tanks).

Thanks!

By the way does anyone even know if it sure that i can get a oct imported to SA???

I read its not the bites but the skin(kills you in 3min)

TS2 reeftek skimmer
39*2 wight 39*2 blue t5s
sump, LR
phos media, salifin test kits
reggies play sand( if you cant get the real thing)
Bi card soda, Kalk wasse
return pump
seio power heads

And i now for a fact LFS can bring in octopus

Hmmm IIRC you are not getting a big tank. Be careful - adding a snowflake, and two triggers will cause some havoc. I assume they are all small... But the triggers might become a bit violent.

Lol good luck to your LFS henk...

I suppose it would be a good way to get back at clueless LFS's... ask them to get a blue ring for you ;)

So are you telling me that only jason (youngest reefer) knows what to get me?

Ok well its not want i expected but if thats non arguable thats hopefully will be the plan (Nice and simple).

By the way what oct could you get from your LFS and is it that one from ottery?

Actualy Bergvlied if im corect,and if im right with teeftek skimmer octopus pumps comes with it,but thers a couple of flipen nice stuf and brands on the market....BUT a Ts1 TS2 what so eve is a must,with wave makers thers other brands that wil blo your mind away..lolol...

OK ive racked up some rough prices (not sure how close they are so please correct me)

TS2 reeftek skimmer= 1800
39*2 wight 39*2 blue t5s =600 4 2
sump=100 (i a 90liter that i will fix)
LR= no idea please help
phos media=no idea please help
salifin test kits= 600
reggies play sand( if you cant get the real thing)
Bi card soda
Kalk wasse= no idea what that is?
return pump=300
seio power heads=400 for 2

Total= R4400 Without LR

So what did i do wrong

Liverock varies in price depending on type. Kenyan is aroudn R80 - R85 per kg. Malawian or other less dense liverock is around R120 - R125. Thats in Jhb at least.

You will not be able to keep n octopus with the listed tankmates, really!
Yes Henk, Wayne told me bout the blue ring he ordered, would love to see one in the flesh....... Was one of the species that goy me into this crazy hobby......

My tank just way to open to keep one of them. Imagine getting home and stepping on it......

it will be like stepping on a banana.... cracking open your scull as it hits the floor....

he is landing it this afternoon.... cant wait to seee it :D

Back
Top Bottom