How do you use orca nitra guard cubes?

I personally don't think the airstone is even necessary. I'm getting fast and fabulous results with them just sitting in a slowish flow.

I personally don't think the airstone is even necessary. I'm getting fast and fabulous results with them just sitting in a slowish flow.
As per @KillerWhale there need to be air for the bacteria growing on the cubes to multiply, more air, how more sufficient the cubes become, less air then the cubes only works 20% off there true potential. I run 4.5L cubes with two large air stones the size off my hand palm with great results...

Last edited by a moderator:
They work, there is no doubt about it. If you put them in a bag, make sure it's coarse mesh or netting (onion bag). A filter bag will kill performance.

Riaan, rather follow the instructions, I think @KillerWhale didn't just research that using the bomb method is a after thought. You cubes are working now, but they do need to be agitated with air to keep them free of the mulm that will collect on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bomb method needs an airstone because wrapping it in a bag kills the flow through it. I don't use a bag and thus don't have that problem. As for the mulm, I intend shaking the basket in a bucket of WC water on a weekly basis. I don't see the point of allowing nutrient-laden die-off to end up in the water column where the skimmer can only get to a fraction of it.

The Cubes come with their own bags...I'm sure my Bio-Cubes and Titanium both had bags..folded in their containers..just remember to soak in RO water for 24hrs..before use...

I don't see the point of allowing nutrient-laden die-off to end up in the water column where the skimmer can only get to a fraction of it.

This actually feeds your corals too.

True - but I have mostly photosynthetic softies.

All corals need food, while light suffices, thriving needs food, and that's from my experience

Sure. That's not the raison d'etre of the biocubes, though. Would you still use them even if they didn't release bacterial fines back into the water? Of course you would. So the point is, that's not a valid reason for arguing that they MUST have an airstone.

I am only interested in nutrient export, and if my method means I can export more, (phosphates especially) with 10 seconds worth of effort, then it's worth it to me.

Last edited:
An air stone is a must, for various reasons, and the main one being its cheaper than a reactor, doesn't make the cubes need a reactor, thus saving you money , getting the same or better performance allowing you to enjoy the tank and spend more on livestock

What are these "various reasons"?

No offense, but my BS-o-meter is twitching big time. Not to poison the well, but I'm of the opinion that it's to the benefit of the manufacturer to promote a method which sells the carbon source providing a substrate for organisms which only end up recycling the same nutrients over and over and over....

Back
Top Bottom