Phospha - Guard, wow!

Reaction score
After a recent power outage, i tested my po4 level purely to check what influence it had. Prior to me leaving for the week, i had it tested and was at 0.08. Tested it last night and was on 0.08 still. Had just less than 100ml of phosphaguard left from when i set up the tank so put it in to see how effective it would be at maintaining it around that level until the company comes up with a bacterial product rumoured to disregard the redfield ratio in terms of po4 reduction (similar to biocubes).... Whilst deciding on a topic for a new thread, decided to test my po4 just to make sure that it has not climbed due to power outage.... Surprise surprise, two readings, both 0.00!!

Recommended dose is 125ml minimum for my system volume once levels below 0.1 is reached..... Interesting that less than it dropped my po4 to rock bottom on a hanna photometer in 24 hours!

Perhaps this stuff should come with a warning.....

After a recent power outage, i tested my po4 level purely to check what influence it had. Prior to me leaving for the week, i had it tested and was at 0.08. I am confused. Tested it last night and was on 0.08 still. Had just less than 100ml of phosphaguard left from when i set up the tank so put it in to see how effective it would be at maintaining it around that level until the company comes up with a bacterial product rumoured to disregard the redfield ratio in terms of po4 reduction (similar to biocubes).... Whilst deciding on a topic for a new thread, decided to test my po4 just to make sure that it has not climbed due to power outage.... Surprise surprise, two readings, both 0.00!! what two readings?

Recommended dose is 125ml minimum for my system volume once levels below 0.1 is reached..... Interesting that less than it dropped my po4 to rock bottom on a hanna photometer in 24 hours! confused????

Perhaps this stuff should come with a warning..... i am sure it does

Me confused:blush:

Last edited:
Is that a product from Orca?

Heard a lot of good

Yes from Orca. Me was get phostha guard on last years des 2011. until now stil always 0.02-0.04 swipe.

Each 6months replace phosha and 2 times recycle.

Orca seem to have a very solid procuduct range...

@butcherman, its not a liquid, its a gfh.

@Nemos Janitor , let me unconfuse you:

Prior to leaving for a trip, took some water to ex oceanson, tested with a martini photometer, 0.08.
Got some reagent for my photometer, tested when i got home on Sunday night: 0.08.
Put in about 90ml of phosphaguard, tested it twice on Monday night, both readings 0.00.
And as to what confused you in the last paragraph....? Adding less than the recommended minimum dose dropped my po4 so rapidly.... Must admit, i am a bit confused myself..... Have to wonder if the power outage perhaps had something to do with it... I.e. the skimmer was full after i got home on sun eve, suspect some die off of bac on cubes and new bac development maybe had a role to play.... Or perhaps phosphaguard is just damn effective!
I have used probably every single gfo/ Al based / liquid po4 product in the market , run through 100's of reagent sachets on my photometer through the years and have never seen po4 drop so fast with so little product used...... So i guess i cannot blame you for being confused!

The warning chirp was tongue in cheek, as in: they should warn you that it really works fast! Some truth to consider in that, as dropping any parameter so rapidly could cause corals to stress.... Now just awaiting the mass zoox expulsion..... And the consequent colour tweaking can begin..... Again.....And i will say..... Let there be frags!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, '0' is not good!

Not quite! Its exactly where i want it! Bear in mind that even with a photometer, we are not measuring down to pristine nsw values.

Really wish I could help with that Glen. To my knowledge there is no reccommendation based on scientific or even hobbyist, research documenting a safe rate. As all parameters are interrelated and interdependant and the health and reaction of coral holibionts and related organisms, bac, etc. depends on more than just one factor / parameter, i would have to guess that a safe way to say i dont know would be to say its entirely system dependant?

Oh well! How bad is 0.08ppm?

Several magnitude higher than found on coral reefs and could be edging on an algae outbreak, but then again 0.01 is enough to spur algae..... gues it depends on the cleanup crew.

In my previous system, I used to document the PO4 levels as well as other params and nutrient levels together with observation of colour shifts. Personally I don't think its all that bad per se, just think that 0.03 and down to 0.01 is better for colour in most acroporids.

There are of course other ways to manipulate colour shift, intensity and flourescence.....

its a great product, been running 500ml for 5 months and phos is 0, i have recharged it and still great!!
better than Rowa and a third of the price including the recharge which also recharged my 250ml rowa in my nano haha

Elaborate please

When I come for a visit, and we are trolling some konas somewhere on the deep blue with no recording devices, I'll gladly share with you....

Alternatively, come down here, bring a handline and some 12/0 hooks, we'll head out and chat if time allows.

Elaborate please
one can use periodic elements, a good example as @irie ivan would agree is zeovit
the iron suppliment enhances green, iodide as well as bromine, potassium, and fluorine enhance blues in acro's etc

more blue light can change colour, example i got a "orange" montipora from a reefer that was "brown" for 2 years in their tank, grew from one frag to 40cm beast, in 2 weeks under my leds it when emerald green

there are many ways to change colour etc without creating ULNS

Last edited by a moderator:
@butcherman, its not a liquid, its a gfh.

@Nemos Janitor , let me unconfuse you:

Prior to leaving for a trip, took some water to ex oceanson, tested with a martini photometer, 0.08.
Got some reagent for my photometer, tested when i got home on Sunday night: 0.08.
Put in about 90ml of phosphaguard, tested it twice on Monday night, both readings 0.00.
And as to what confused you in the last paragraph....? Adding less than the recommended minimum dose dropped my po4 so rapidly.... Must admit, i am a bit confused myself..... Have to wonder if the power outage perhaps had something to do with it... I.e. the skimmer was full after i got home on sun eve, suspect some die off of bac on cubes and new bac development maybe had a role to play.... Or perhaps phosphaguard is just damn effective!
I have used probably every single gfo/ Al based / liquid po4 product in the market , run through 100's of reagent sachets on my photometer through the years and have never seen po4 drop so fast with so little product used...... So i guess i cannot blame you for being confused!

The warning chirp was tongue in cheek, as in: they should warn you that it really works fast! Some truth to consider in that, as dropping any parameter so rapidly could cause corals to stress.... Now just awaiting the mass zoox expulsion..... And the consequent colour tweaking can begin..... Again.....And i will say..... Let there be frags!

Was just yanking your chain bud. I got the gist. :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom