how to upgrade tl 450 skimmer for belindamotion

Reaction score
first things first. this was a trial and error experiment that eventually worked out for me. i hope it will work out for other reefers on a budget. there were times i broke part of stuff etc. where i could have done things better i will tell you. where i broke stuff and repaired it i will tell you so that you wont make the same mistakes i did. if you are unclear about anything or if i have worded something incorrectly i will try and fix it. if you try this and it doesnt work, talk to me and we can work through this together. thanks in advance for your patience.

firstly equipment: hacksaw, scissors , gel superglue, two irrigation uptubes(sic), plastic embroidery mesh drill with 2.5mm bit

pics and explanations to follow

3694e9051b2a34a1.jpg

Last edited:
1. turn off uv and skimmer
2. remove uv and skimmer pump
3.take uv unit (gloves recommended) and cut the unit with a hacksaw about 2cm from the section that goes into pump. you will more than likely cut the air intake off but that doesnt matter because you are going to create a double air intake.

3694e90581929876.jpg

Last edited:
take a drill and drill out a 2.5 mm hole in the centre where the previous air feed was. right in the middle of the two water intake holes that look like two kidney shapes.(i made a mistake by making these holes larger and refilled and drilled them to the old size.

3694e9059758dfd4.jpg

insert irrigation tube into middle hole using thread connector

insert second air tube into one of the water feed holes. this reduces water intake and increases air intake. this allows the level of the skimmer to be lower and thus skim drier.( remember to ensure that the water uptake hole is the furthest from skimmer when reassembling and putting air and water feeder connection back on the pump. this will pull water past air tubes and ensure air uptake

now onto the impeller. using blobs of super glue gel stick fine gut along the top of each row of pins leaving an extra piece to fold down and across to base of nex set of pins. do this all the way around the wheel. i made up my own design.

3694e905ce7156c7.jpg

thirdly i created a bubble mesh cut from plastic embroidery mesh this is placed in skimmer area. it allows skimmer to run drier it seems

3694e905da7f0dbe.jpg

view of mesh in place. It should be below surface of water. and taraa with all three mods your skimmer will really skim

3694e905e8791c0c.jpg

ps belindamotion now you will have a good skimmer!
Thanks....I need to call Hubby to come and read this Thread...:lol::lol:..I can't believe the foam in that cup...WOW..:thumbup:...Hubby and I have to figure this out...:p...I love it...Thanks..:biggrin:

Hubby just read the Thread and has a face like this...:confused1:..:lol::lol::lol:..He did say that he will have a better understanding when he actually takes it apart and then looks...:slayer:

Wow Glen, you really went down the extra mile for belindamotion. Not so sure if her hubby appreciates that as he is probably forced to do the modding.:)

This it really an extraordinary way of helping a fellow reefer. Good job, Glen!:clap:

Nice of you to help her out Mandarinman, I increased your green a bit ;)

Nice of you to help her out Mandarinman, I increased your green a bit ;)

Thanks Tobes, really appreciated. And he deserves it!

Back
Top Bottom