Arduino Powered Aquarium Controller Project

Reaction score
Well my controller has been running now on it's own for over a 5mths with no problems, so it's time to share the build

I've gone with the Arduino Duemilanove as the base unit (There is now an updated board "The UNO")

l_arduino.jpg

Cost is $59NZ plus postage and available here in NZ

To keep the time right on the controller (so if power fails) a RTC (Real time clock) is needed

ET-MINI_DS1307.jpg

As you can see this clock comes with a battery backup and will last about 9 years.
It only uses 2 wires to "Talk" to the controller and 2 wires for +v and -v.
This I had to bring in from overseas....cost $8US and $6US shipping

Another item I couldn't get here was the LCD screen
20x4BlueWhite-304x170.jpg

This LCD is a Serial LCD with 20 lines across and 4 rows down. If Serial isn't used all the digital pins will be used up.
Also a key pad can be wired onto the back of the LCD.
The Serial LCD is the same as the RTC needing only 2 wires to send and receive and also connects to the same pins as the RTC.

Thats all that is needed to get the controller up and running BUT it wont take the temp or anything.......

To read the temp we need a probe and the easiest way is by using a 18B20 Temperature Sensor

l_tempsense1wire.jpg

Costs $9NZ each plus postage and is available here in NZ

The wiring side of things isn't too bad once you get your head around it

Arduino
P114501_16-10-10.jpg

RTC
P114502_16-10-10.jpg

Little board for the temperature
IMG_0245.jpg

I wont get into the wiring side of things unless someone wants to have a go building one

To be able to turn Lights, Fan, Heater etc on and off a relay is required This allows the Arduino's 5v DC to switch 240v AC

I went with this type
GN-84134110.jpg

Its a puck style relay.
This one will work on any DC voltage from +3 to +32
and will take 24 - 280 VAC at 25amps

NOW REMEMBER Unless you know what you are doing PLEASE DON'T PLAY AROUND WITH 240v as it can kill you. Get a sparky to do this work for you

I still wanted to be able to turn the lights etc off myself so I used my old Chauvet 8 way board
IMG_0367.jpg

These are no longer available in NZ but the USA still sells them

I mounted 4 relays to the top of the Chauvet and re wired the insides a bit so the relay now turns each output on and off.
The thin wires are from the outputs of the Arduino
IMG_0408.jpg

The red wires are 240V
IMG_0406.jpg

Still have to cover the relays so there is no chance of a shock

Got the Arduino Ethernet Shield just b4 Xmas

L_ArduinoEthernetShield.jpg

This allows the Arduino to serve pages onto the inter webbie :-D

I've been trying to get it worked out now for a week and today I've made a little headway :ugeek:

Here's what its reading so far....and this is only Local eg: my network

Untitled.jpg

screenshot.jpg

Added read out for "Heater" and "Sump pump" the sump pump is really everything in the sump....return, skimmer,etc. At a push of a button the whole sump will turn off if required.

On a side note I must to an add up just to see what this costs....as long as the wife don't read it :crazy:

The new Box for the controller

IMG_0458.jpg

Led"s to show which relay is on

IMG_0459.jpg

The "Back" 25pin computer plug is for the relays (so they can be removed). The BCN plug is for pH later on
Then there is the ethernet ,USB and power for the Arduino

Sorry I "edited" instead of posting "new." Using my BB and the screen is small. What did yours cost lighty?

dude , your PH is 14 according to the web.... is that right ?

Sorry I "edited" instead of posting "new." Using my BB and the screen is small. What did yours cost lighty?

Never really totalled it all, but approx R1000-R1500? And a fair amount of time and patients as I had to make all the PCBs in house, there is another version with pH control. This was designed by Richard, so credit due to him.

@Loki, you like stuff like this

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment I hook up the USB cable and make changes to the code, I should also have a 4 x 4 keypad wired into it that allows to set time and feed times plus water changes but i think the controller looks alot nicer without it

Cheers
kk

At the moment I hook up the USB cable and make changes to the code, I should also have a 4 x 4 keypad wired into it that allows to set time and feed times plus water changes but i think the controller looks alot nicer without it

Cheers
kk

I think a nice small descrete keypad would look nice?

Back
Top Bottom