My 30L pico finally up and running

Mc

Reaction score
Hi All

I finally got my 30L pico tank up and running. :biggrin:
I've been planning this tank for a few months now,driving my wife crazy with all the research. So here it is any advice is welcome.

THE SETUP

30L bow front tank.
HOB Aquaclear sump modified too fuge/surface skimmer.
Seio 320 powerhead.
DIY led 54w 18 leds, 7 blue 20000k / 11 white 10000k.
DIY led sump light 6w 2 leds, 1white 10000k / 1 red.

40cm substrate (real sand brought back from the sea a while ago).
3 kg live rock.
Red sea coral pro salt SG 1.023 with ro water.

The tank has been running for 16 days with live rock.
Just finished up with the lighting the other day, but still leaving that off till im finished with the cycling. I'm finally seeing some signs of life with what seems to be a few tiny feather dusters, brown polyps and, hydroids too small to Photograph.

Here are some pics. :)

LEDS
50064e0e1ca93de50.jpg

50064e0e1cc7595f9.jpg

50064e0e1d1592cd0.jpg

FUGE
50064e0e1d8fdae24.jpg

50064e0e1d690c0e1.jpg

THE TANK
50064e0e1d4c016a0.jpg

50064e0e1d381eadc.jpg

Looking good so far!

What livestock do you plan to keep?

If it were me I would move the two rocks on the sides in a little closer so you can easily clean the inside walls of the tank. I would also relocate one of those rocks on the bottom center, (behind the ledge) for better circulation
What do you plan to keep in the AquaClear HOB filter/fuge

Im panning on keeping cheato and maybe some chemipure plus its already got filter floss. Will still probably change the rocks thats not permanent yet was also thinking that might block the flow.

Not sure on the stocking yet was thinking maybe something like.
zoas
ricordeas
clove polps
one small fish maybe a damsel
I will probably start with a peppermint shrimp, a blue legged hermit, and two snails not sure what kind I will find.

Looks great, nice work on the lights. Damsels are nasty fish, rather get yourself something like a yellow clown goby and then a small acropora coral frag for his home.

That sounds interesting but wouldnt it jump out, its an open top?
Any idea where I can get something like that, and how difficult is the acopora to keep.

Looking good... Your scaping is similar to mine but your tank is 5l bigger... I would also suggest to open the back of the cave for circulation... I love these small tanks... They are so fun...

Thanks

I also love it already cant wait to put something in it.:tt2:

I am gonna move those rocks just have to figure out where to put them.

That sounds interesting but wouldnt it jump out, its an open top?
Any idea where I can get something like that, and how difficult is the acopora to keep.
No, they are not a jumping fish, they are not big swimmers which makes them an ideal fish for a tiny tank, I had one in my open top nano, any pet shop should sell them. Their natural habitat in the wild is acropora corals, although they will play in other corals. Acropora will be easy to keep in your situation, don't worry about it losing it's colour and going brown, it will still live and will provide a home for your fish.

Here is some info on the fish
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_clown_goby[/ame]

Here's my little guy
14a09355058f7a.jpg

Cool I will have a look today im going to a few fish shops still gonna be a while before im ready for a fish.

Just to update I got two nassarius snails and a feather duster over the weekend.
So my tanks finally got something in it other than hitchhikers.

Still researching fish, not sure what im gonna get yet. Has anyone seen green clown gobies around gauteng? Do you think an azure,or yellowtail damsel would be ok in there if he was the only fish I've heard they are one of the most peaceful damsels, also one of the smallest?

50064e148c99a74cf.jpg

50064e148cae9e440.jpg

Yellow tails... They are pretty aggro little buggers, but they do stay small.

Well I guess it doesn't really matter how agro he is the only fish.

Haha ok then it's fine, awesome little fish with great character. Used to chase my powder blue around in the old tank and would always hide in the small crevices when the powder wanted to attack it. Very smart and great colours.

I think so I have stood and watched them at the pet shop, and I really like them.

Back
Top Bottom