Filter Socks

Reaction score
Hi

I have a setup with an overflow into sump, with skimmer in first chamber. Then DSB with Chaeto. I have no mechanical filtration, and (I think) as a result a lot of particles in my water column.

Would a filter sock, bound around my overflow pipe as it comes into my first sump chamber be a good solution? Is a filter sock basically a silk stocking?

Thanks
Chris

some form of mechanical filtration will help in removing particulate matter.
If you are going to put a filter sock over your overflow, you need to clean it out VERY often. You want to remove the trapped detritus before it breaks down into ammonia etc.
Another option is to use a milk filter. Theres a thread on this forum somewhere on them.

You can get the filter socks used for the pool gobbler available at builders. They're about 25 bucks for five.

i found those milk filter socks for R50 for a 100, 250mmx60mm
pm me and i will send u the shop addy, not a sponsor

Hi Chris, I have a filter sock pre-filter system going in my system. I have 2 overflows with one dropping into the skimmer and the other to the pre-filter. I use the "milk filters". I have a container with 4 suspended in it and need to clean or replace them every 3 days or so. I'll take a few pics tonight and post for you tomorrow to see my patent.

Tim

@ Dallas "i found those milk filter socks for R50 for a 100, 250mmx60mm
pm me and i will send u the shop addy, not a sponsor"

PLease let me know where i could buy these socks.

Thanks

that milk sock thing looked a bit complicated :whistling:

Here it is. It's a perpex box with a 50 mm outlet piped to the sump. The inlet side is made of a flat perspex sheet with 4 holes for the socks to be suspended through. There are 4 x 20 mm holes which are there in case the socks clog up and don't drain fast enough and then the water will bypass down the 4 other holes.
The sock "holder" is cut from a piece of 50mm diametre pvc pipe with an additional ring at the top to stop it from falling through as well as to create a seal with the sheet of perspex.

I wash the socks once and turn them inside out and the second time I replace them.

Last edited:
i use the pool gobler filter and it works like a charm R30 for 5 and just replace it every 2 weeks or so.

I doubt it's as fine as the milk filters. These even reduce the load on the skimmer.

I cannot get the pictures in the thread. Every time I upload they appear at the top of the screen above the MASA header. I also cannot get the pictures which have been upleaded tomy album in the thread. Please help before a boot the thing.

i know this is an old thread , but wanted some feedback
i have filter socks on my system , but i wanted to know how everyone goes about cleaning them .

i clean mine , and then leave them in the sun to dry out , but sometimes they are not 100% clean and therefore clog up alot quicker.

any helpful tips
thanks

most mechanical filterswork a little better after they have dirtied a little, take a cars airfilter for example...

so as long as there is no contamination they should be fine to use.. perhaps add a little bleach to "whiten" them again and steralise?

Back
Top Bottom