The Red Sea Skimmer Clan

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
One of the forefathers of the modern skimmers, plenty of them still in use, and can be moded to give some decent foam production so all mods, pics and suggestions on these skimmers can be posted here.

Here's my Berlin XL Triple Pass skimmer in operation. I removed the standard venturi and added an Ocean Runner 2500 with a modified venturi on the pump inlet, this increased performance rather considerably.

These pics are from my old 5ft tank.

IMG_0065.jpg

Here's the venturi I made for the pump inlet.

IMGP2099.jpg

IMGP2098.jpg

Last edited:
I did a similar mod to my Berlin classic and overdrove it with a 3800L P/hour lifetech pump.
I'll dig out a pic of it working on curing some live rock.

Here we go:

34749e9276fd18.jpg

This was my Berlin XL back in the days with the same mod as above, today would be even better and use one of the octo needle wheel skimmers i would reckon the 3000L ph and maybe convert the skimmer to insump and install pump as close to skimmer as possible.
berlin.jpg

cup.jpg

Here's my Berlin XL Triple Pass skimmer in operation. I removed the standard venturi and added an Ocean Runner 2500 with a modified venturi on the pump inlet, this increased performance rather considerably.

These pics are from my old 5ft tank.

IMG_0065.jpg

Here's the venturi I made for the pump inlet.

IMGP2099.jpg

IMGP2098.jpg
Good going freind looks good

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all - here's a pic of my Red Sea Prizm Pro skimmer:
IMG_7395_edited.jpg

For about a month this skimmer outperformed my TS2.... BUT now the TS2's skimmer output seems to be just about equal to the Prizm Pro's output....

viper357,

what is the hole and pipe size, used?

If I remember correctly I think I drilled a 5mm hole, it's just normal airline tubing. It must fit nice and tight.

Those that have the Berlin classic, what make pump and LPH is been used?

Normally 2 or 3 days before it settles in and starts producing foam and skimmate.

Then I might not be setting it correctly then cos mine is not realy foaming and pushes alot of water into the cup. any advice on setting the skimmer

Hi Timmyus - You should ensure that your impeller in the pump is perfect - I had many problems with my impeller that cracked.

Normally it's a case of adjusting the adjustment knob, that it is plus-minus 45 degrees toward the skimmer's body....

This should work.... also - check the water level in the sump compartment - that this is not too low.

I have the KNob turn 45 degrees the more I open the air knob the high the level at the skimmer neck increases which I assume is normal. What it does then is it fluctuates till eventual it does the so violently that is pushes water into the cup and overflows and spills all over the floor I woke up one morning with the garage flooded and most of the water in the sump drained.

hi there, got a red sea prism skimmer from a friend, im testing it out, hangs on the side from the tank, can any body tells me about the do`s and donts of this skimmer?
thank you. also he wants to sell it, how much is this skimmer worth?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there, got a red sea prism skimmer from a friend, im testing it out, hangs on the side from the tank, can any body tells me about the do`s and donts of this skimmer?
thank you. also he wants to sell it, how much is this skimmer worth?

Ok i had one of these,lets see if i can help out.
On the skimmer cup you will find an inlet were the venturi goes in and there's a dummy version next to it.
Now, what you do is, place the venturi into the dummy and switch on the skimmer.
Set the water level half way up the skimmer neck and then pull put the venturi and push it int the inlet on the cup.
That's basically it.Pretty straight forward and an awsome skimmer.

At the time when i bought mines (about 4-5 years back),I paid +-R700.00

Back
Top Bottom