UPS or Generator?

Reaction score
Hi
What type of UPS do I need to run a +-200W return pump for approximately 4-6 hours.
OR
We have a 6.6kva generator. But we need to convert the gennie to switch on automatically?
What are our options for the best price?

We are going away in december for - 3weeks and therefore we need to ensure a power failure does not cause us harm. The security company only sends an sms after 30 min of lack of power, and from our experience in last 3 years our power always fails in the morning hours (2am-5am). So difficult to get someone to come to the house and switch on the power again.

we tried an computer UPS 600AP, and it worked for about 30 minutes just on the return pump. We then connected it to a deep cycle deltec 110amp battery but then it burned out!
We don't no much about electricity... any advice much appreciated.

Both will work have both have pros and cons

Gen

Pros:
  • Generally will run for longer than an UPS
  • Can run more than just the return pump
Cons:
  • Will require a auto start and switch over unit, which may mean buying a new genset
  • Sometimes battle to start (quality)
  • You have to refuel when empty
UPS

Pros:
  • UPS have switch over STD
  • Will recharge when power comes back on.
Cons:
  • Require decent batteries for long outages
  • Once Batteries are flat, you can't just "Top 'em up"
I personally am using a UPS which gives me about 6-7 hour, should the power be of any long than that I then just connect it up to my Genset. So since you have a Genset, I would personally get the UPS, just make sure it will give you a couple hours, that way it give you some time to make arrangement for some to start the getset.

Both will work have both have pros and cons

Gen

Pros:
  • Generally will run for longer than an UPS
  • Can run more than just the return pump
Cons:
  • Will require a auto start and switch over unit, which may mean buying a new genset
  • Sometimes battle to start (quality)
  • You have to refuel when empty
UPS

Pros:
  • UPS have switch over STD
  • Will recharge when power comes back on.
Cons:
  • Require decent batteries for long outages
  • Once Batteries are flat, you can't just "Top 'em up"
I personally am using a UPS which gives me about 6-7 hour, should the power be of any long than that I then just connect it up to my Genset. So since you have a Genset, I would personally get the UPS, just make sure it will give you a couple hours, that way it give you some time to make arrangement for some to start the getset.

thanks LIghty, what type of UPS unit do we need to buy? we already have the deep cycle batteries. and where can we purchase the unit from?

thanks LIghty, what type of UPS unit do we need to buy? we already have the deep cycle batteries. and where can we purchase the unit from?

I'm not sure where you could buy them, but just make sure its PURE SINE WAVE, anythink else won't work!!!

As you are going to be buying a split system, as you already have the batteries, just make sure it has or you get an automatic transfer switch!

Hi Lemar,

For your situation, I would suggest a decent inverter with sufficient deep cycle batteries. This is a pretty expensive solution, but would be the easyest to implement (and is what I have done myself...)

There are numerous suppliers in SA, with most of them prepared to courier a unit to you. The batteries are very heavy, though, and it would be best if you could buy them locally (car battery dealers would be able to order the correct batteries for you.)

I would suggest that you look at getting a 1.0-1.5kVA inverter as a minimum (even though your requirements for the return pump would be served by a 0.5kVA unit), as this would allow the unit to run for long periods without excessive heating, and also because you could then run your skimmer and perhaps a power-head or two as well as your fridge and deep freezer (if you have sufficient battery capacity...).

I opted for a 2.2kVA Studer inverter, and 4 large deep discharge batteries. A write-up of my system can be found in this thread: My Anti-Eishkom setup - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Here are some links to on-line inverter shops (remember, google is your friend...)

www.sinetech.co.za
www.omnitech.co.za/
www.kgelectric.co.za/inverters.htm
www.rectifier.co.za/Inverters.html

Hennie

Last edited:
For true cover, I believe you need a combination of a decent UPS and a generator.

UPS to kick in instantly. Should run your system for at least 8hours.
Then a generator to supply power when the outage is a real long one.

The UPS should give one time to get home from work and start the gennie up.

In the last week, here on the North Coast, we must have had 5-6 power outages, varying between 5min and 4 hours. The UPS covers these admirably. When we get back to Escum load shedding (which we will), a good UPS has you covered.

When Otherscum steal your power cables and you loose power to your area for a few days, then the gennie will save you.

the reason youre ups burn up is the charging circuit is too small for the load of the big batery what I did in out office is to put a diode on the cable going between the battery and ups and put a seperate batery charger on the deep cycle has worked flawlesly for us for about 2 years now just make sure you install the diode the right way round

I'm not sure where you could buy them, but just make sure its PURE SINE WAVE, anythink else won't work!!!

As you are going to be buying a split system, as you already have the batteries, just make sure it has or you get an automatic transfer switch!

I have read so many stories and opinions on pure sine wave or modified sine wave. To say that you need 'PURE SINE WAVE, anythink else won't work!!!' is complete BS.

I know of a few guys on this forum using a decent modified sinewave unit including myself. It has kicked in a few times since i had it when we had powerfailures and have had no issues at all. Sure you get cheap k@k which i wouldnt use but you also get decent ones. I know Ellies sells a 24v option for R2999 or so which has two deep cycle batteries 105AH i think it is

Mine ran the one day for more than 10hours when we had no power, a return pump and a heater, oh and i was watching tv here and there also. So i'd say a UPS is a great option but you will need to replace batteries every 2-3 years or so

cheers

Hi guys sorry to hi-jack this thread but does anyone know where you can buy a decent UPS system in Cape Town?

Hi guys sorry to hi-jack this thread but does anyone know where you can buy a decent UPS system in Cape Town?

Local Computer shop? ;) Just kidding......but I have that on mine at the moment until I can organise a proper UPS. Basically moved my PC's UPS to the Return pump which will give me just over an hour......which is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom