Why Should We Quarantine SPS

Reaction score
What is causing this damage?...
Is there a chance that this monti will survive?...
Can the lurgy spread to my acros?...

Bugs121-1.jpg

Bugs126.jpg

Bugs123-1.jpg

Sunburst

I will frag it well into the fleshy part and leave in a good flow area for a week or so before you stick it down again. In that state it will most definately die.

Carl

Always quarantine everything my friend!!

Just a few of the sps problems that can desimate your captive reef:

Red Bugs
Monti eating nudis
RTN
Brown jelly infection

All of the above are highly contagious, although I believe that a current tank inhabitant must have a compromised immune system to fall prey to either RTN or brown jelly. (the most evil of them all)

Montipora eating flatworms don't seem to have a preference for certain montipora species only. If its a monti, it will be eaten.

I have read of reports where red bugs only seem to flourish in certain acropora species. (something about commencal crabs rings a bell)

Considering the value of specimens in a tank, quarantine is really worth it.

I have my quarantine system hooked up to my display, but whenever I quarantine anything, it goes off line. Once the specimens are to be introduced into the tank, the water from the quarantine is dumped and a new water is prepared in the quarantine before it goes back in line.....

With regards to rtn (what would be my best guess wrt this monti) it will spread if any of your acroporas have a compromised immune system, usually caused by stress.

My advice:
Get that monti outta there, frag it dip it and quarntine it!!!

Aish I feel for you Sean. The dreaded lurgy is Monti eating Nudibranches.

They are a bugger :(

If thats the case, (dunno how you id'ed them from those pics??) they will not infect anything other than montipora's. all of them, but fortunately no acro's will be infected

Sean have a look and see if you can see the nudi's, they are white in colour and will be at the rim of the polyps munching away, very difficult to spot, but if they are there toss the coral my friend these things will rip through all your monti's.

It does seem like monti nudi's. (took a few beatings on the head to convince me its not rtn) Remove that coral to the bin asap.

An interesting thought on monti nudi's and acroporas:

Montipora eating nudibranchs can cause rtn events in montipora, and from personal experience, rtn is not species specific. Had a rtn event once, due to introduction of dodgy sps, and it caused rtn in montipora and acroporids.....

So would fragging and dipping not be an option with slugs.

Thanks for all the input.

ps Looks like lap top has also received a dose of slugs and has gone into rtn. Norton switches off on its own and will not switch back on. The lap top also just switches off randomly. All in all a :035: weekend.

Look for a virus called rontok. That might be your culprit (on the notebook)

Fragging and dipping is an option, but not the best one. From what I understand: Generally the nudis congregate in the same general area. So if you cut into the flesh, you should be able to save the colony. The problem is that if you miss some eggs, you are in serious trouble, as they will find their way to other montis in the tank. It does not seem like dips with iodine (lugols, seachem reefdip, trop marin pro coral cure) are very effective.

If you see Nudis,get it out immediately, it will be killed, and it will spread to your other montis. The things are almost impossible to get rid of.

I've got a friend that tried all the remedies available, nothing worked except removal, a six month fallow period (of montis) and then gently trying again.

I feel for you.

Good luck.

Look for a virus called rontok. That might be your culprit (on the notebook)

Thank you. Do you have anyone in Durban who is qualified to do it for me. Obviously no favours expected. Will gladly pay for services rendered. What i have noticed is that when i log on to MASA cpu activity goes balistic and then notebook shuts down.

A wall of destruction before the dip

IMG_0060.jpg

30 seconds after dip the wall is broken. Scampering slugs are EVERY WHERE.

IMG_0071.jpg

After a vigorous shake 5 min later i have a hundred plus slugs twisting and curling in a solution of Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure. 20 min later they were still moving. Not dead but very :1angry:

IMG_0073.jpg

Thank you. Do you have anyone in Durban who is qualified to do it for me. Obviously no favours expected. Will gladly pay for services rendered. What i have noticed is that when i log on to MASA cpu activity goes balistic and then notebook shuts down.

Sorry, don't know anybody there that could help. you could download the removal tool from Microsoft. Its called the Malicious Software removal tools. If you need a direct link, just pm and I'll send it.

Hope you get it fixed.

Wikus

Looking good sunburst, I think you also need to search for eggs, not too sure.

Back
Top Bottom